Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matratliff

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Certina DS Action Diver Titianium
IMG_2792.jpeg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No wrist shot today. Just a couple photos of a new 621 page reference book that arrived today. I'm honestly a little let down on some of the content, considering the book was $200. There's not really much in the way of details as to correct dial, hand, crown, and some caseback markings for specific manufactures (by production years). Just one example from each manufacturer, even though there were sometimes more than one variation of each model type, within a manufacturer. Over 200 pages is dedicated to just photocopies of the original contract specifications for each model. I'd rather have seen more info on the variations within each model type.

There are lots of missing models as well. No USMC issued watches, no USN avigation watches, and there are only two Russian timepieces in the entire book. I am assuming that the author just included the pieces that were in his own collection. On the plus side, the photos are fantastic. All other reference books that I've considered buying had black and white photos with pretty poor resolution.

20240503_191622.jpg

20240503_191533.jpg

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No wrist shot today. Just a couple photos of a new 621 page reference book that arrived today. I'm honestly a little let down on some of the content, considering the book was $200. There's not really much in the way of details as to correct dial, hand, crown, and caseback markings for specific manufacture (by production years). Just one example from each manufacturer, even though there were sometimes more than one variation of each model type, within a manufacturer. Over 200 pages is dedicated to just photocopies of the original contract specifications for each model. I'd rather have seen more info on the variations within each model type.

There are lots of missing models as well. No USMC issued watches, no USN avigation watches, and there are only two Russian timepieces in the entire book. I am assuming that the author just included the pieces that were in his own collection. On the plus side, the photos are fantastic. All other reference books that I've considered buying had black and white photos with pretty poor resolution.

View attachment 475747

View attachment 475748
I know who I'm calling when I have a question about an old military watch now.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know who I'm calling when I have a question about an old military watch now.

If it's something that's covered in the book. purchased it with expectations that it covered A-11's in detail. Unfortunately it only has one example of sterling cased Bulova, one Bulova A-11 hack, one Elgin, and and one Waltham example. No specific information on when certain dial types, second hand types, and cases were used, which is a huge issue when trying to figure out if a watch is correct or pieced together.

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's something that's covered in the book. purchased it with expectations that it covered A-11's in detail. Unfortunately it only has one example of sterling cased Bulova, one Bulova A-11 hack, one Elgin, and and one Waltham example. No specific information on when certain dial types, second hand types, and cases were used, which is a huge issue when trying to figure out if a watch is correct or pieced together.
It's still an interesting book. Similarly, I've bought gun books just for the pleasure of reading the data. I didn't have the actual guns.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's still an interesting book. Similarly, I've bought gun books just for the pleasure of reading the data. I didn't have the actual guns.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. There's some really great pictorial examples of stuff that's scarce. There's a pretty large French Marine Nationale section that has Longines, Omega, Rolex, Tudor, ZRC, etc. examples that I was thrilled were included. Tons of German pilot watches and even some Japanese Seikosha pieces.

I just need to also find a U.S. military watch specific reference. I'm not sure if a good one exists though, which is a little strange.

20240504_100103.jpg

20240504_100308.jpg

20240504_100347.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom