New But Need EVERYONE'S HELP! HB2327

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrez1

Marksman
Reaction score
Although this is my first post, it is important. I have been working on getting HB2327 passed this year. The bill would do away with non-violent misdemeanors more than 10 years old from disqualifying applicants for a Concealed Carry Permit. Most states only count these offenses against you for 5 years.

Last year a last minute Amendment sent it back to committee after clearing the House and Senate. This year they have attached another Amendment, OPEN CARRY! That's right, there is an Amendment in the House for OPEN CARRY. I don't care if you are for or against Open Carry, what I am trying to do is to make sure my Bill makes it to the floor for a vote with or without the Open Carry Amendment. These are two separate items and each can be voted on independently without endangering the other.

My bill would remove any non-violent misdemeanors more than 10 years old as a preclusion that would prevent issuing of a Concealed Carry Permit. In other words, after 10 years non-violent offenses would no longer count. Most states are only a 5 year limit, so Oklahoma’s would require a longer time period, but one that is fair. I want this to pass!

I need to inundate the OK Legislature with the letter (below) (for your convenience but feel free to change it), (I have included the most important e-mail links too). Here’s the catch. The amendment attached this year is a dusey…OPEN CARRY in Oklahoma! My PRIMARY concern is that MY bill goes through no matter what. The legislature can vote separately on MY bill if the Open Carry gets bogged down (and it likely will as this session calendar is pretty full already).

PLEASE send the attached letter to the included e-mail addresses within the next two or three days. Feel free to pass this on to all your friends! I have already sent a letter to every member of the House and Senate and have had numerous phone conversations with different representatives and you should do the same! I have a lot of support IF it gets to the floor for a vote! The NRA is firmly behind the Open Carry and MY bill, but I personally doubt Open Carry will ever pass this session. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and the Fraternal Order of Police are definitely against the Open Carry, but the sponsor of MY bill is a retired State Trooper (Representative Glen Smithson)! I do not want my bill getting caught up in an unrelated Amendment and the ensuing battle! I do want to make sure mine gets through this year. Please voice your opposition to, or support of Open Carry in your letter if you want, but please mention that the ORIGINAL HB2327, “Self-Defense Act; deleting certain conditions from the mandatory preclusions” gets to a vote on its own if Open Carry is going to hold it back this sessions. They are two separate items and can be voted on separately, they just need to know people would not mind the two being separated!

PLEASE HELP! Even those people that are not from Oklahoma can make a difference! Many of these politicians have designs on National Office and they love to know they are expanding their base of support!

So……stop making excuses and make a difference!

Thanks in advance!

Honorable Representative (insert name)

I would like to express my support for HB2327. While I am a supporter of the Amendment which would allow Open Carry, my primary concern is that the original bill amending the “Mandatory Preclusions” portion of The Oklahoma Self-Defense Act be passed this session with or without the present Amendments. Last minute amendments prevented this Bill from making it through the legislature during last year’s session.

A ten year exclusion for non-violent misdemeanors is practical and numerous states have enacted a lower five year preclusion period. Individuals, with no other history of serious or violent behavior, wishing to apply for a Concealed Carry Permit, should not be penalized for a minor misdemeanor record after the ten year period.

If the proposed Amendments appear to place this original Bill in jeopardy, I ask for your support to put forth and pass the original Bill. Additionally, this will allow more law abiding citizens of this great state of Oklahoma to purchase a Concealed Carry Permit and bring additional revenue into our depleted coffers.

This is a win-win situation; Oklahoma benefits from the additional revenue, more law abiding citizens will be able to exercise their full Second Amendment Rights, and as a result, as has been demonstrated numerous times in numerous states, crime rates will fall even lower.

I ask for your support in moving the original HB2327 out of committee for a Floor vote this session.

Thank you for your service to our great State,

[email protected] Majority House Leader

[email protected] Speaker of the House

[email protected] Bill’s original sponsor

[email protected] Democratic Floor Leader

[email protected] Democratic Minority Leader

[email protected] chair of the Judiciary committee in the House

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reynolds and Ritze are going back and forth. The most recent one from Reynolds strikes Ritze's open carry paragraph and inserts "When they have a reasonable fear of bodily harm;"

thebrez1

Marksman
Reaction score
Reynolds and Ritze are going back and forth. The most recent one from Reynolds strikes Ritze's open carry paragraph and inserts "When they have a reasonable fear of bodily harm;"

That is why I am trying to get people to e-mail pushing to get the original HB2327 out to the floor on it's own. This happened last year and i don't want to caught in the bickering. Dropping minor non-violent offenses from the preclusions list after 10 years is sensible and has nothing to do with all the crap they are tacking on. If they want OC they should submit it as a stand alone bill.

chevy4wd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/procedures-shoot-down-oklahomas-open-carry-gun-proposal/article/3445516

Procedures shoot down Oklahoma's open-carry gun proposal
BY MICHAEL MCNUTT | Oklahoman 5 Comments Published: March 11, 2010

A proposal to allow unrestricted open carrying of weapons was shot down by legislative procedures Wednesday in the state House of Representatives.

Advertisement
But a proposal to allow those with permits to carry concealed weapons to also carry them out in the open is still alive and may be attached to another bill today, the last day House members can act on House-generated bills.

Both proposals were filed as amendments to House Bill 2538, which would have allowed a gun owner who has a permit to carry a concealed firearm to put a loaded weapon on the dashboard or seat of a vehicle. Oklahoma only allows concealed gun permits, and gun owners with permits must conceal the weapons in their vehicles.

Both efforts failed as Rep. Sue Tibbs, the author of HB 2538, eventually withdrew the measure after more than an hour of debate and legislative maneuvering.

Before withdrawing her bill, Tibbs, R-Tulsa, had accepted an amendment by Rep. David Derby, R-Owasso, which would allow those with concealed carry permits to carry the weapons in the open.

She also had accepted an amendment by Rep. Mike Reynolds, R-Oklahoma City, that would allow any person to carry a rifle, shotgun or pistol at any time if the person has a reasonable fear of bodily harm.

Reynolds, R-Oklahoma City, and other supporters of his measure also were upset that Tibbs filed an amendment that took the title off the bill, which meant that it eventually would have to go through the committee process.

Reynolds wanted his amendment to be voted on in the House chamber with a recorded vote so gun-rights groups could see how legislators voted.

Reynolds actually spoke against his own amendment. If his amendment failed, then he could introduce a stronger open-carry measure, he said.

Before House members could vote, however, Tibbs accepted the amendment.

Reynolds asked that rules be suspended so he could file an amendment from the floor. Passage required 68 votes of the 101-member body; it passed 94-0.

Before Reynolds could present his proposed amendment, Rep. Jeff Hickman, presiding in the House, asked for a voice vote on Reynolds’ amendment. Most of the members voted for it and Hickman, R-Fairview, declared the amendment was adopted. Then he realized his error.

"We don’t have an amendment,” he said.

Hickman ruled the voice vote was improper. Before Reynolds could object, Hickman called on Tibbs to speak.

Tibbs, who held up her National Rifle Association card to members and said she has a concealed-carry permit, withdrew her bill.

"This is not an NRA bill,” she said. "It is not one of their priorities.”

Tibbs later said she will not bring her bill back up for consideration.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, said he would attempt to place Derby’s amendment into one of his measures, HB 3354, which deals with the carrying of weapons.

Amendments may be added to legislation if they have the same general subject matter.

Tim Gillespie, vice president of the Oklahoma Second Amendment Association, said he is disappointed the open-carry measure failed "and so are my members.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/procedures-shoot-...ry-gun-proposal/article/3445516#ixzz0hyScJG6i

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can drive drunk and get caught twice but don't smoke a doobie 37 years ago
My younger brother has a misdemeanor marijuana ticket from a traffic stop in 93' keeping him from getting a permit. No court,nothing but a ticket he had to pay along with his speeding ticket. And he hasnt done a damn thing since.

thebrez1

Marksman
Reaction score
My younger brother has a misdemeanor marijuana ticket from a traffic stop in 93' keeping him from getting a permit. No court,nothing but a ticket he had to pay along with his speeding ticket. And he hasnt done a damn thing since.

That is what I am trying to stop! HB2327 is still alive but needs some more support. Send your e-mail!

Latest posts

Top Bottom