Remington Back In 1911 Business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.shootingwire.com/
4-23-10

An invitation in the mail yesterday finally confirmed what most of the industry appears to have expected for months: Remington is back in the handgun business. In fact, for the first time in ninety-one years, it's back in the Model 1911 business.

At the NRA Show next month, Remington will introduce the Remington 1911 R1, their official return to handguns.

The R1 is an A1 variant of the 1911 with upgrades that include a flared and lowered ejection port; beveled magazine well; loaded chamber indicator, high profile dovetailed single-dot front/two-dot rear sights, a trigger with a 3.5-5 pound pull, and match grade stainless steel barrel and bushing. Additionally, it has the Series 80-style firing pin block safety.

According to a Remington release, the 1911 R1 will ship in a custom carry case with two seven-round magazines and barrel bushing wrench.

The 1911 R1 will be manufactured at Remington's Ilion, New York facility, and will make its official debut at the National Rifle Association Meetings on May 14, 2010 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Remington says the gun will be available through select independent dealers in June, and will carry a MSRP of $699. The specs are below.

--Jim Shepherd

MODEL 1911 R1
Order # 96323
Action Single Action - Recoil Operated
Caliber 45 ACP
Magazine Capacity 7 rounds
Barrel Length 5 inches
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Finish Satin Black Oxide
Rifling Twist Rate 1 - 16 LH
Overall Length 8.5 inches
Overall Height 5.5 inches
Grip Material Walnut
Grip Design Checkered - Double Diamond
Trigger Pull 3.5 - 5 pounds
Average Weight 38.5 ounces
MSRP $699

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This gun, going by the pictures seems to be a more basic setup than the "custom" features the Taurus allegedly has. ;) It's nice to see that they are carrying the recent 1911 tradition of having obnoxious billboard rollmarks.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.theoutdoorwire.com_image_archive_2019008.jpg

$699

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was happy to hear about it until I saw this pic. If someone could come out with a good looking 1911 in this style without a goddy billboard then I would be game. What a shame.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was happy to hear about it until I saw this pic. If someone could come out with a good looking 1911 in this style without a goddy billboard then I would be game. What a shame.

+1 on the markings. That's the only thing that has kept me from owning a Taurus...and it's the only thing I see about the Remington I don't like. Some like it and that's OK....just not for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom