Which rig for pronghorns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going on a lope hunt in October. ( :) )

Got two pretty good suitable rigs for the job - which would you use, if you were me, assuming equal accuracy levels:

1. T/C Icon "Original Medium Action", .243 win, 24", 1 in 12, with 85 gr Speer spitzer soft point boattails - handloaded, and Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm, or

2. T/C Encore Prohunter, .280 Rem, 28", 1 in ?, with 139 Hornady SST ballistic tip boattails - handloaded, and Nikon Monarch 4-16x42mm SF.

??

Also, if you have any tips on how to hunt them in October in the Oklahoma panhandle, and wish to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know for bucks, be ready to pay a hefty trespassing fee.. does, just knock on doors out there and be prepared to put some miles on your truck..
My dad drew it back in '02 but his hunt was in december.. lots of farmers willing to let you kill does

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew the same tag last year and my 4th child was born on the week I was supposed to go.:( If you search my name or antelope you will come up with tons of good info on the county and land access issues.

Almost forgot: Which ever one you shoot best is the choice as both will can an antelope.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on being prepared to drive around. Also be prepared for weather. We were up there last year and had great weather the first day then an overnight ice storm/cold front.

Bring a couple of buddies to help spot and to pick your ass up once you walk a couple of sections. I had underestimated how fast and far those animals will run.

I also have the name of the guy we talked to. He let us camp out on one of his pieces of land that just so happened to have a lovely p. dog village on it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going on a lope hunt in October. ( :) )
Got two pretty good suitable rigs for the job - which would you use, if you were me, assuming equal accuracy levels:
Also, if you have any tips on how to hunt them in October in the Oklahoma panhandle, and wish to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Whichever gun you can shoot the most accurate to 400 yards. I was out there last year antelope hunting with my bow. I could have shot numerous antelope from 200 to 400 yards. The best thing to do is, drive around a place you have permission on and locate the antelope late evening and watch em bed down, 90% of the time they will still be there in the morning. You can sneak in under the cover of darkness within 400 yards and wait for sun up. I have some more tactics, but not really necessary with a rifle. I know before the draw rifle hunts last year the antelope were a LOT less spooky. A guy could get within a 100 yards of a herd before they would just move away. The archery hunt started just after the rifle hunt, (yeah kinda dumb) and sometimes if you stopped in a truck within 400 yards, zing they were gone!

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's accurate enough, go with the 280. It'll still have enough energy out beyond 200-300 yards. Get a good decoy. I wouldn't sit behind it. I'd sit maybe 50 or so yards off to the side of it. The only thing more impressive than a pronghorn's speed, is it's eyesight. Make sure you are concealed, and don't skylight yourself.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Permission? It's a controlled hunt - by definition that means they put me on specific land and say "go hunt here", correct? Am I misunderstanding here? Thanks.

Not for the antelope hunts, you have to get written permission from landowners and carry it while on the land. Like said, you should be able to acquire permission pretty easy, but I wouldn't wait till hunt weekend to to this.

Reaction score
Well that sucks balls, royally. How in the holy @#%@#% is that a controlled hunt? That's anything but controlled: "Sure you can hunt - maybe; just go get permission to hunt somewhere; good luck"; whiskey tango foxtrot!!!??!!!! :mad: :mad:

How is that any different than buying a tag? So all this is, is just drawing a "tag", not drawing a "controlled hunt" at all?

Latest posts

Top Bottom