Shotgun suggestions for skeet/trap.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also got a CZ Canvasback. I've put maybe 5000 shells through it so far and really like it. The build quality is very superior compared to other guns in the same price range.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using your 870. My hunting buddy has used nothing but his 870 for dove, ducks, geese, trap, skeet and sporting clays the past 30yrs.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot my first 50 rounds of sporting clays with the Canvasback last week. Had no issues or problems and it shot just as good as I pointed it.
I like it, haven't had the 'fit' checked or adjusted, but I like it.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only problem with pumps and autos for clays is that they're much heavier and don't balance the way o/u's do. If you're shooting doubles, you might find it hard to get the bead back to the second target.

Don't be afraid to try a Stoeger; they are Beretta copies. They don't spend as much time and attention on detail and fit, but should be fine for a casual shooter. If the internet Stoeger Horror Stories scare you away, try to find a used Ruger Red Label. The new models are around $1,200 - $1,300, but you may be able to find a used one in your price range.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Until very recently, I've always been an O/U man..........and still am except for sporting clays. I'm not sure there's an auto out there that has more recoil than an O/U. So I'm not sure why it would take longer to get an auto back on target than when shooting an O/U.

Latest posts

Top Bottom