Shotgun suggestions for skeet/trap.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope not.
I'm just looking for suggestions, I can understand both sides, seems it mostly depends on usage from the sound of it.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a CZ ringneck. It's a SxS and I couldn't be happier with it. I mainly use it for upland birds but I also use it for clays/skeet as well. I feel like I am faster and more accurate with it then the over/unders I've shot. YMMV.

You can find the shotgun for a great price and they are very pretty while serving their purpose very well. No issues so far and it uses Bennelli chokes as an FYI. I run modified on one barrel and full on the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of the CZ shotguns either, did some research and they sound like a good value as well, maybe a bit better then the Yildiz overall and for not much more money. Some of the older CZ's sound a bit sketchy, but the newer ones seem to have those kinks worked out. The Canvasback O/U is a bit less money than the SxS.
Thanks.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of the CZ shotguns either, did some research and they sound like a good value as well, maybe a bit better then the Yildiz overall and for not much more money. Some of the older CZ's sound a bit sketchy, but the newer ones seem to have those kinks worked out. The Canvasback O/U is a bit less money than the SxS.
Thanks.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the CZ. I've had mine for awhile and have probably 1k shells through it with no issues. It's a work horse and it's the prettiest gun I own as well.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No problems out of my Canvasback. Yildiz...........blah. Shot sporting clays and skeet with a Red Label 20 and 12 for years........couldn't stand the autoloaders.............until I shot a guys Beretta Xplor 400 with the Kick Off stock, incredible gun, and now own one. I don't shoot it any better than my O/U's, just about 1/2 of the recoil though. I wouldn't suggest a SxS for clays of any type. If there were an advantage to using them, you'd see guys shooting them out there, but they're almost nonexistent in the clay world. I'd take ProBusiness up on his offer, go handle some shotguns, try them, see what fits and go from there. Whether it's a Perazzi or a Stoeger........if it doesn't fit, and you can't hit with it, you won't enjoy it as much as you should.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot clays recreationally with friends at the Lexington range so I was thinking of getting a semi. My budget is not too high so I was thinking about the Mossberg 930. One of the characteristics Im looking for is a gun that I could tacticool out for HD or convert via barrel swap to take out to Lexington on occasion.

Opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the inputs/suggestions. After reading over info, at least as much as I care to anyway, I've ordered a CZ Canvasback, 12 ga over/under. It should hold up with what I expect to use it for, reliability seems to be pretty good but with anything mechanical, things will break regardless of price. It's pretty much a plain Jane look, but I like that. After I pick up at SSP with the FFL charge, it'll be about $620, which isn't bad for a good over/under or at least what I'm hoping is a good O/U.

I considered the CZ 912 SA but after reading through some info, there are more areas for something to go wrong or cause a hiccup which I didn't want to deal with. The 912 sounds like a really nice shotgun for the money as well and I might pick one up down the road, just have to see how the Canvasback works out. FYI, the Canvasback in it's current iteration is being discontinued, price is going up......

Beast1989, I don't have any info to help you other than check out some websites and get some opinions that way as well.
Concerning the CZ912, try here;
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=250848

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CZ Canvasback is an excellent shotgun! I have well over 20,000 rounds through mine, mostly steel shot loads, and it's still tight and functions just as good as the day I bought it. I think you've made an excellent choice....

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's hard for me to imagine putting 20K rounds through my shotgun, that just sounds like a LOT.
I picked up the Canvasback Tuesday, tore it down and cleaned it, put it together and it's in the safe waiting for the weekend. Feels nice, just need to see how it shoots.

I did notice the price on Bud's went up about $50 after I ordered it.....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot 200-300 clay pigeons every Saturday for a year, plus crow, dove, duck, goose, load development, etc., it does not take long at all to literally shoot thousands and thousands of rounds through a shotgun...

For an O/U to take this kind of use, I have found the CZ shotguns to be one of best going for under a thousand bucks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom