how many licks does it take

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To kill a .308 lapua or Winchester brass case.

I have a plan. I have a die that minimally full length sizes my .308 brass.
I made a dipper from 454 casull brass that makes my varget darn near the same as my 505 scale at 42.3 gr.

I want to go to the range and fire and resize a .308 brass until it dies. at the same time shoot for a group at 200 yards.

I wish I had my old van , I could set up my load table and press in it.
Going to build a small table press holder for my geo.. Maybe I can just bolt my press to the trailer hitch.
That will work.

Any guesses on how many rounds it will take to kill the brass?
This will be a 168Amax shot from a savage 10fp in the mid 2500 fps area like 2530-2560 fps Fun things to do.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would get 6-8 times from my Winchester when I was pushing the shoulders back .008"!
Now I am pushing the shoulder back .001" or less and no more case head separation issues.

I need to find some once fired Winchester .308 or R-P or federal.. may need to test them all.

I read of a test like this and the round count went past 60 and the guy gave up or ran out of powder.
If I get 15 I will be ecstatic.
As the other guys die was tweaked much more than mine.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lot of 80 pieces of OTTSIX brass that has been loaded 50+ times, I don't shoot full house loads
(1800-2000 fps) once fire formed there neck sized only I never work the body.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've loaded 8x57 9 times without any problems - I pitched the brass after the last firing 'cause it made me nervous. I'm not afraid of the case failure causing a prob in my 98, but since mine reloads may end up as hunting rounds, I'd rather not have to deal with that during a hunt.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my reloads are for hunting. I just like to work up loads and experiment to see what will something do.

Well I went out and shot in the rain until I could not take anymore soaking.

I rigged up a mount for my press and loaded in the rain in the back of my hatchback with a towel draped over the press.
Then used the top of the car as a rest to shoot off of.
The daughter-in-law went with me and was fidgeting around inside the car when I was trying to get a bead on the target at 200 yards.
So I pulled a shot..decided to move the target to 100 yards.

So 4 shots at 200 yards are the yellow lines. and 10 more at 100 yards. this is with a dipper I made.

I forgot my case lube!!!! SO I used motor oil off my geo metro dipstick.
That and some spit worked good. I had to size the brass 2 times once because I stuck the primer in upside down ..hard working under a towel.
Got a raindrop in on top of 1 powder charge.. forgot to swab the neck inside once also.

But I eventually got into a rhythm and started punching the same hole bigger ..

The brass was not trimmed. the fresh virgin lapua brass was not sized and that virgin was one of the 200 yard shots.
One of the three that are close together.. I pulled the upper shot then moved the target.

When it dries out I will shoot it some more.. 14 shots total so far.
.308 brass test 001.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
dude, that is dedication! the reason i love your posts is that you do some of the sucky work for me, thanks for the report!
using the oil of the dipstick is a heckuva idea.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks dlbleak, I would have stayed and blasted off more but I was getting soaked and the in-law was freezing and complaining.
She did shoot a couple 45's and my 30-06,, she loved the 30-06 and drilled some bowling pins with it. And only missed 2 shots out of about 27 with the 45's . knocking down pins from 17-25 yards.. she had fun is what she said. and wants to kill a deer with the 30-06.

I have had to resort to the oil on dipstick for lube a few times. Brake fluid is the best rust breaker I have found yet.. used that from reservoir a few times.

What is this OTTSIX brass , and are those lead loads and what caliber. ?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Lee Hand Press. You know, with two levers and the die goes into one side. It would be perfect for what you are wanting to do. You can get one from Midway.

I bought it and a universal decapping die so I could deprime while watching TV.

It works for what I do and would work for what you want to do also. My only complaint is that it stores spent primers in the semi hollow ram. You have to take the shellholder out to dump it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realy like your reloading posts too. I have been reloading for years and learn things from you. You put some thought and effort into it. Keep it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom