1949 Stevens 87A rejuvenated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While my 1949 Stevens 87A didn't look all that bad I did want to restore it to it's former glory and restore the protective finish on the stock.
A previous owner from ages ago had refinished it and removed most of the black tip from the fore end. My primary goal was to reapply the black tip and in general clean up the look of the finish without removing any of the aged yellow color.

I lightly took steel wool to it to smooth out the existing finish and provide a good surface for a new coat to stick to. I taped and repainted the black tip on the fore end and then applied 2 fresh layers of tung oil varnish to the entire stock to complete the rejuvenation. Lightly buffed with a t-shirt and she has a nice shine again.

I think the results from this little bit of TLC did wonders to how it looks and restored it's original character.

Before
i.imgur.com_w8EsLwy.jpg

After
i.imgur.com_NIAn4FA.jpg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice looking job you did there. I need to get the gumption to bring my old SavageModel 5 back to her glory days! Here she is, and just about half hour ago, she did her job on a squirrel once again!

She is a squirrel killing machine for being 1946 model. A lot of guys took the but plates off and dated them when they bought them. I got lucky this one was done so. Other wise there is no knowing exactly what year they were built. I love old 22's. I need to learn how to work on the wood stocks on them. I can do the mechanics good, but never really messed with wood or redoing wood.

Yours looks great! I sold another Model 5 that was prewar, had the checkered stock, to another member here who was looking for one for his kids to shoot. It was a beautiful one, way better shape than the one I kept. Again, I just love old 22 rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom