1949 Savage 6A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my 1949 Savage 6A. Only thing I have done to it is to apply a couple of coats of Tung Oil Varnish to clean up the finish and replace the missing sight elevator.

i.imgur.com_1nzhbOf.jpg

The before and after didn't really show up in photos so I just posted the after pic.

Currently working on a complete refinish of a 1948 Springfield 87A. I'll post it when it's finished.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the best shooter I have but it's not bad either. The rear sight is slightly canted and tends to make for an akward sight picture. It's good enough to hit minute of squirel @ 30 yards though.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another nice looking 22 you found there, is it machined to accept a scope mount on the side?

Here is one I picked up recently Savage 86C, shoots perfect through the scope and open sights. It could stand to be reblued, but I have never had any luck doing that at home. And don't want the expense of sending it out. And it makes it look old, I like old! I believe by searching that it is either a 50 or 51.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 219

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Cat, what is this Tung oil varnish, do you have to sand it down and then apply it? I have a few very old 22's that I think if they get shiny like yours did with it, I would like to do it to them.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Formby's Low-Gloss Tung Oil Finish. It is a wiping varnish. Basically Tung oil with some hardeners and driers added. I find it to be a great medium between a traditional oil finish and the harder, modern varnishes. Application to bare wood can still take anywhere from 6-15 coats but each coat only has to dry for 12-24 hours and after curing for about a week it is a pretty tough finish. Also easily touched up as you just wipe on another coat.

The way I apply it to an existing finish is to lightly rough up the old finish with 0000 steel wool. Smoothing out any imperfections in the finish. Wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth and then apply the finish like you would a wax. just lightly working it into the surface. I usually apply 2-3 coats depending on how bad the original finish was. With a real light steel wool and wipe down between coats and using an old clean t-shirt to buff the final coat after it sets for 24-48 hours.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go for it. Tung Oil is easy to use, as posted above, and gives a nice finish as well as protecting the wood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom