10 Commandments Monument Will Not Be Up For Breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the thing,

Wanting to change the state constitution is tacit admission that the state supreme court ruled correctly.

If the state constitution forbids using public money or property to support a religion then how can they justify impeaching the justices who ruled that way?
If the justices were wrong then there's no need to change the constitution, just impeach the justices who were wrong and leave the constitution alone.

Impeachment AND changing the constitution is not only petulant, it defies logic.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. Which speaks to Calvey being a tool.

The court was right. Even though Justice Combs is a family friend, I disagree with his dissent.

If the Legislature has absolutely nothing better to work on, then amending the state constitution is the right way to address this. But I find it hard to believe this is what they should be working in.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would Christians be upset? Many view it as an example of an early societal law similar to the Code of Hammurabi and you know that. We now that your a learned man of the law and I find your protestations a bit disingenuous.

I know that is the excuse they use when trying to justify these things in Court, but excuse me if I find it disingenuous. In all the uproar over this, I have not heard one person say they are pissed off because people are removing displays of "legal codes through history" (imagine that being said in a dramatic circus announcer voice)... it's always "they're taking God out of society" or "trying to re-write the history of this country as a Christian nation." It's just like putting "In God we trust" on the money, or putting "under God" in the plegde... it is just a little way for religious people to remind everyone that "we run this *****"... in case anyone forgot. The fact that you never see these people advocating for the display of other "legal codes through history" -- only the one from the religious book THEY follow -- shows what a crock that excuse is.

FWIW, my comment was not a protestation... I don't have a dog in that fight anymore. But I know that there are a lot of evangelical Christians who will otherwise be the first to jump on you at any suggestion that modern folks are under any part of the Law of Moses, other than the parts Jesus re-stated, since the New Covenant has wiped out that obligation and put mankind under grace, rather than law. I'm just saying, their absence in this debacle is a might conspicuous.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that is the excuse they use when trying to justify these things in Court, but excuse me if I find it disingenuous. In all the uproar over this, I have not heard one person say they are pissed off because people are removing displays of "legal codes through history" (imagine that being said in a dramatic circus announcer voice)... it's always "they're taking God out of society" or "trying to re-write the history of this country as a Christian nation." It's just like putting "In God we trust" on the money, or putting "under God" in the plegde... it is just a little way for religious people to remind everyone that "we run this *****"... in case anyone forgot. The fact that you never see these people advocating for the display of other "legal codes through history" -- only the one from the religious book THEY follow -- shows what a crock that excuse is.

FWIW, my comment was not a protestation... I don't have a dog in that fight anymore. But I know that there are a lot of evangelical Christians who will otherwise be the first to jump on you at any suggestion that modern folks are under any part of the Law of Moses, other than the parts Jesus re-stated, since the New Covenant has wiped out that obligation and put mankind under grace, rather than law. I'm just saying, their absence in this debacle is a might conspicuous.

I ain't so sure there's a lot of evangelicals who would argue that we are not under the law, they just like to pick and choose which parts of the OT they deem relevant, and wash their hands of the others. They should read Galatians a few times.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a Christian, I support having a constitution or an amendment that doesn't adopt a religious stance. Most religions teach love, peace forgiveness (although it's adherents may twist it into something else) but the ideals are based on peace and treating your fellow man well...... it's the antithesis of a government. And if you think a gov't won't twist religious ideals to persecute others or advance an agenda, you need a remedial history class.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would Christians be upset? Many view it as an example of an early societal law similar to the Code of Hammurabi and you know that. We now that your a learned man of the law and I find your protestations a bit disingenuous.
About 200 people gathered around the beleaguered Ten Commandments monument at the state Capitol on Friday to pray for an outpouring of the Lord’s love and healing in Oklahoma.

They sang hymns and at one point chanted “Jesus!” several times. The prayer session ended with many in the crowd laying hands on the monument and praying.

http://m.newsok.com/pentecostals-ta...mas-ten-commandments-monument/article/5438939

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 200 people gathered around the beleaguered Ten Commandments monument at the state Capitol on Friday to pray for an outpouring of the Lord’s love and healing in Oklahoma.

They sang hymns and at one point chanted “Jesus!” several times. The prayer session ended with many in the crowd laying hands on the monument and praying.

http://m.newsok.com/pentecostals-ta...mas-ten-commandments-monument/article/5438939

Lol. Penecostals.... All that friggin hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3qhle8Oy9s

Latest posts

Top Bottom