Night predator coyote hunting setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering helping out a family now long past the incident and remarried but struggling with a serious coyote pack problem depredating their farm but can not use or be near a firearm due to a stupid sting and resulting felony charge & probation terms some time after he found out his very new bride had had failed to disclose she had her privates sewed shut at early age due to birth issue deformation and he found himself preyed upon by a cop plant in a forum who was playing a barely underage female. Crap story but true.
Going to order a decent remote control 150 yard range multi call programmable preditor caller.
Runs about $ 100.

What I need is a good IR (infra red system) but what people are getting by with is:
A spotter to scan for & positive ID game with good binoculars with same below green focusable laser designator.

For the gunner:
A 5.56 AR zeroed to 200 yds, like we have & equipped with same laser designator,
Vortec Crossfire II 9-12 power x 56mm objective lens "Hog Hunter" & collects light very well for its price, mounted with a:
Bridged one piece optics mount base with a additional mount at top for micro red dot or Vortec SPARC 1x red dot on top or offset on handguard rail (better) for close shots, our AR's also have 45 degree MBUS.

The fourms/ youtube elsewhere have testing done commonly 150-200 yds and a few to 400 and even 600 yards on the laser with good results when narrowing the beam relative to distance as it causes the eyes to shine very white but does not disturb any game.

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Riflescope w/ V-Brite Reticle, Black CF2-31049 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYRGZNS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_M761vb0XAVTN6
Sell for $ 300.

Ade Advanced Optics Adjustable Green Laser Flashlight Designator Illuminator Switch and QD Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NW53Z2U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_PO61vbPBXHPPK
Runs about $70.

Anyone using this setup? Like to hear only from you how your vision is with it at night and any sight vision (like near sighted, near night blind, or maybe require lots of light to see details but outlines are easier) issues that might impact your results.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest you will kill as many coyotes during the day, however, if you have a real coyote problem a caller won't be the answer. You will need a trapper.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does not sound like a "stupid sting" to me.
Stupid, as in being involved in it forum situation etc, to begin with. He learned his lesson. Knew this would get some riled.
Yeppers the regs say nada at night however, in case the ever change or a permit getts obtained we did figure out how to do this down to every detail effectively including mounting and reasonable cost with some decent 540'ish nm IR lights & or the green designator good quality back up camera, 16mm lens, batt, and screen & or 2.4ghz wifi xmtr may come in handy with security work @ home.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stupid, as in being involved in it forum situation etc, to begin with. He learned his lesson. Knew this would get some riled.
Yeppers the regs say nada at night however, in case the ever change or a permit getts obtained we did figure out how to do this down to every detail effectively including mounting and reasonable cost with some decent 540'ish nm IR lights & or the green designator good quality back up camera, 16mm lens, batt, and screen & or 2.4ghz wifi xmtr may come in handy with security work @ home.

Oh okay well I wish you luck. I would definitely take okhunters advice and get some trapping help.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will never truly thin a population by calling. I trapped a farm that had all experience levels of calling done(including myself) on it for a couple months and about 6 were killed. I set 18 traps and caught 24 in three weeks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom