AR-308 First Shots Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score
I've got basically the same rifle. Odin works adjustable gas block too. Geiselle trigger was the only other mod I've made. Suppressed, I've run it with 168FGMM out to 900 yards at Fouled Bore. You'll love it when you get to use it. A little heavy for spot and stalk hunting, but I'm a glutton for punishment anyway.
Wow that's great--I can only hope to get out that far someday. Supposedly USSA here in Tulsa is buying a bunch of adjacent land and planning to put in at least a 1000 yard range, but they're hoping to be able to get out to a mile which would be wild. Apparently the person who owned everything around them was trying to sell it as one parcel for development, but because it's all lowlands and drainage it never sold. It's passed to the next generation now and they're more willing to split it up.

I like the Geissele triggers, but I'm not sure I'm a good enough shot yet to justify the extra expense. I knew I wanted something better than mil-spec though, so the Hiperfire was a nice middle ground. I've toyed with the idea of using it for deer, but I'm really tempted if I can get it sighted properly sighted in and tuned.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you're having fun with it.

I'd really, really reconsider using that optic if you plan on deer hunting. $60 scopes will fail...not can, will. I went through a phase where I put Walmart specials on several of my range plinkers, and after having the fourth one come apart on me internally (adjusting windage/elevation), I gave up and spent the money I should have in the first place. Plus, a mount that will bend on a tiny fall is going to do the same thing the first time you bump a tree with it. Add that with the light gathering capability of a toilet paper roll at dusk from a cheap scope, and you have a recipe for an unsuccessful hunt.

If your gas block is fully open and you're still having issues getting the bolt to cycle, I'd triple check block alignment (some BA barrels are pinned though) and then become suspicious of your buffer/spring.

Ive put together a couple large frame ARs, and the first one was a nightmare. My CMC nitride coated gas tube was actually completely obstructed...took about 20 wasted rounds and tearing apart the upper three times to figure out why I had a single shot. Then my Criterion barrel had an undersized gas port. They said .068 for an 18" .308 was right...but everything I read was contrary to that. Finally drilled my gas port to .093" myself and the rifle has run like a champ ever since.

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score

I'd really, really reconsider using that optic if you plan on deer hunting. $60 scopes will fail...not can, will. I went through a phase where I put Walmart specials on several of my range plinkers, and after having the fourth one come apart on me internally (adjusting windage/elevation), I gave up and spent the money I should have in the first place. Plus, a mount that will bend on a tiny fall is going to do the same thing the first time you bump a tree with it. Add that with the light gathering capability of a toilet paper roll at dusk from a cheap scope, and you have a recipe for an unsuccessful hunt.

If your gas block is fully open and you're still having issues getting the bolt to cycle, I'd triple check block alignment (some BA barrels are pinned though) and then become suspicious of your buffer/spring.

Ive put together a couple large frame ARs, and the first one was a nightmare. My CMC nitride coated gas tube was actually completely obstructed...took about 20 wasted rounds and tearing apart the upper three times to figure out why I had a single shot. Then my Criterion barrel had an undersized gas port. They said .068 for an 18" .308 was right...but everything I read was contrary to that. Finally drilled my gas port to .093" myself and the rifle has run like a champ ever since.
Oh absolutely not planning on keeping this optic as a primary, I was mainly curious and then shocked at what I got for the money. I'll admit I'm a little impressed it took the fall that it did and is still holding zero, but in no way would I plan on trusting it for anything serious. I considered the gas block may be misaligned--I recently gave my brother that same bit of advice for his AR-15 and it solved his problem--so I'll definitely check that, but something about how heavy that charging handle pull is just seems very off to me. I'll have to check the size on my gas port, doesn't seem to be in the specs on BA's website. Thanks for the tips!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh absolutely not planning on keeping this optic as a primary, I was mainly curious and then shocked at what I got for the money. I'll admit I'm a little impressed it took the fall that it did and is still holding zero, but in no way would I plan on trusting it for anything serious. I considered the gas block may be misaligned--I recently gave my brother that same bit of advice for his AR-15 and it solved his problem--so I'll definitely check that, but something about how heavy that charging handle pull is just seems very off to me. I'll have to check the size on my gas port, doesn't seem to be in the specs on BA's website. Thanks for the tips!

Could be that your spring is too heavy, I have no idea what you purchased. Usually that isn't the case with a standard spring/buffer, and I'd be cautious elsewhere.

Did you also lubricate it to the point where it was just soaked and leaking everywhere. Large frame guns really like to be run wet until they're broken in. If you're not drying off the outside of the receivers with a shop towel after a couple shots, you are too dry.

So many possibilities. By the time I finished troubleshooting my first large frame AR, I had a pretty good confidence in my AR building skills. I never suspected an obstucted gas tube or undersized gas port, so I played with everything.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted, I'd be interested to find out what it was.

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow that's great--I can only hope to get out that far someday. Supposedly USSA here in Tulsa is buying a bunch of adjacent land and planning to put in at least a 1000 yard range, but they're hoping to be able to get out to a mile which would be wild. Apparently the person who owned everything around them was trying to sell it as one parcel for development, but because it's all lowlands and drainage it never sold. It's passed to the next generation now and they're more willing to split it up.

I like the Geissele triggers, but I'm not sure I'm a good enough shot yet to justify the extra expense. I knew I wanted something better than mil-spec though, so the Hiperfire was a nice middle ground. I've toyed with the idea of using it for deer, but I'm really tempted if I can get it sighted properly sighted in and tuned.
You have some options on triggers. I might recommend the trigger from rise armament on Opticsplanet. I just put this in my wife's ar-15 that had a garbage trigger.

OpticsPlanet Exclusive RISE Armament RA-240 Enhanced Rifle Trigger Up to 25% Off w/ Free S&H — 2 models

I also own a present gen PSA AR 10 and I would also recommend a hybrid brake I stumbled on that made the Rifle a lot more enjoyable.

Not a must-have, but night and day difference in handling. 85% muzzle brake, great flash hider, and a compensator all in one. The negative is the price, but man it works well. Oh, another note of importance, at least for me: there isn't a ton of sound blast to the side or rear like some of the more obnoxious brakes and you won't be blasting people to either side.

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have some options on triggers. I might recommend the trigger from rise armament on Opticsplanet. I just put this in my wife's ar-15 that had a garbage trigger.

OpticsPlanet Exclusive RISE Armament RA-240 Enhanced Rifle Trigger Up to 25% Off w/ Free S&H — 2 models

I also own a present gen PSA AR 10 and I would also recommend a hybrid brake I stumbled on that made the Rifle a lot more enjoyable.

Not a must-have, but night and day difference in handling. 85% muzzle brake, great flash hider, and a compensator all in one. The negative is the price, but man it works well. Oh, another note of importance, at least for me: there isn't a ton of sound blast to the side or rear like some of the more obnoxious brakes and you won't be blasting people to either side.

I really wanted to get one if those until I noticed that it has 300 little wieners all over it...once that has been seen, it cannot be unseen.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A rifle length spring in a collapsible stock will feel very heavy and cause all sorts of malfunctions. Might be a place to start. Rifle spring is around 41 coils carbine around 37-39. Just went through this with a guys 458 SOCOM.

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score
A rifle length spring in a collapsible stock will feel very heavy and cause all sorts of malfunctions. Might be a place to start. Rifle spring is around 41 coils carbine around 37-39. Just went through this with a guys 458 SOCOM.
I don't have a collapsible stock though, it's an A2 rifle length extension for a fixed stock. That coil count is helpful though, I'll double check my spring--I'm not positive, but I think there is a difference between the A2 extension and a full length extension (there was even a spacer that came with my stock for a different length buffer tube). Possible I have a mismatch anyway. I'll be getting it out this weekend after my parts kit for the gas block shows up and I'll check it over then. Thanks!

Kopperhed

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Second that on the gas port...... my first self-assembled Ar10 would not cycle fully on the gas....... as a single shot it worked perfect. I had the "go-no go" gauges checking the chamber, etc..... thought it was "sticking"....... turns out it was the gas port on the DPMS SASS barrel, the same one they use on their own build...... I even used the DPMS SASS low-pro gas block to "ensure" this would not be a problem. GunTech checked it out, said the port size was "in spec., but on the small side"....... so they drilled it out, cycles perfectly now.

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score
Thought I had posted this last week, but maybe I never hit the Post button. I did get in and put the gas block back together, and it looks like the only things I lost were the ball bearing and the actual adjustment plug/screw, must have shot out of there like a slug backed by steel shot lol. The set screw and spring were still there and actually caused me a bit of trouble (almost lost the new ball bearing because I didn't realize the old spring was still in there). But once that was together I used what methods I had available to me (I do not have a bore camera unfortunately) and determined that to the best of my abilities the block is aligned with the gas port and there appears to be no restriction on flow of gas to the BCG. Whether or not the gas port itself is correct to spec or needs to be tapped a bit larger I couldn't say at the moment, but if I continue to have problems I'll take it to a smith and have them check it out and fix if needed.

As far as the buffer spring goes, it appears to only have 35 coils, so the plot thickens. Haven't had a chance yet, but I'm considering trying to determine the spring coefficient just for grins, and maybe I can work some of that college math and physics I paid so much money for to tell me...something. I did add an extended lever and latch on my charging handle just to see if that made charging it any easier, and I'd say the ergonomics are vastly improved, but it doesn't feel any lighter. I'll oil it up real good and take it out this week--I've got a night match this coming weekend so I've got a good excuse to hit the range and "check my zero."

As far as other upgrades go, I'd love to put a different muzzle device on there, but right now I think I need the money for range ammo to get this sucker figured out. I've seen the EFAB hybrid device before and I am definitely intrigued. I've also been eyeing the Strike Industries muzzle devices that pair up with the Oppressor concussion reducer, like the Venom or the King Comp. I've also been heavily considering the VG6 Gamma, thought that's purely a brake. I'm honestly pretty happy with the Hyperfire trigger for the moment, and I highly doubt my touch is soft enough to be getting full advantage from it, but I do like RA triggers and since they're a local company I'd like to support them when I can.

Okay, chapter end. Hope to have the next chapter of this saga up later this week lol. Thanks to everyone who's still reading this and for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom