AR-308 First Shots Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, if you don't have the correct HSS drill bits or AR armorers pins to accurately gage your gas port size, you can jam a toothpick or piece of q-tip rod (the paper kind) down the hole and measure the diameter where it stops with a set of dial calipers.

It's redneck as all get out, but it'll get you a pretty good ballpark idea to within a couple thousandths.

Hopefully it was a gas block issue, and just starts shooting for you.

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score
I think we're finally done. I finally got out to the range with my re-built gas block...and it just worked. A couple of adjustments needed, but eventually it settled in and fired and cycled just fine. If I have further troubles I'll investigate the gas port size and go from there, but as it stands everything seems A-Okay and I won't mess with it any further. I think I'll start a new thread if there are any other developments on this rifle (upgrades, tweeks, etc.). Thanks to everyone with your help and suggestions in troubleshooting my build and lending moral support, you guys rock!

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put one together a few yrs ago and was having problems with it picking up the next round,. the best advice I got was run the bolt wet to break it in, I hosed mine down with Remoil and it fixed the problem! Once its good an broke in you shouldn't have to do that as mine works fine now. Might try it as it can't hurt nothing, just a little messy at first.

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score
I forgot to even mention that I did add a lot more oil to the bolt. I had been oiling it, but remembering a few people mentioning it on here I did more than usual without thinking too much about it. I'll bet that's what did it!

$ure$h0t

This entire site is snowflakes
Reaction score
Man, I'm so jelly..this is exactly what I've been trying to trade my bm59 for.. I had a great one setup and the dude flaked.. Then I found out the model was a lower grade model so I didn't even bother.. 🤦‍♂️

Eventually..

Latest posts

Top Bottom