2015 Oklahoma Deer Gun season contest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forum owner JB is sponsoring a gun season contest. This contest will only run for the 16 day gun season.
Winner by random number generator drawing will win a $50 gift card.
Post a pic and story in this thread to be entered.
This thread is not for discussions. Any discussion will be deleted.
Entries only please.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This guy was taken with a Weatherby Back Country in .257 Wby Mag. 120 grain partition
12 points, 120lbs field dressed, and aged at 4.5 years.

It all started with an Atoka WMA draw hunt. I've hunted public land a couple times years ago. My memories of those hunts are finding a good looking spot but learning 2-3 other hunters thought the same. Also, the catcalls I would get from other hunters while walking to my spot.

I wasn't expecting much out of this hunt because of those experiences. I was looking at it as an enjoyable weekend trip around a campfire with 3 family members and hunting on the side.

While driving thru the area on Friday evening I see a large open hilltop. This is my kind of hunting as I'm a guy that likes to see some territory. I was thinking that surely nobody else will want to sit out in the open with no cover. Most of the area is heavily wooded.

Saturday morning I grabbed my blue lawn chair and set it on the hill like I staked my claim in the land run. I grabbed my range finder and range 309 yards in front of me, perfect. There was also about 200 yards on the other 3 sides of me and no orange in sight.

Shortly after, this buck is chasing a doe straight at me. She runs around and stops about 10 yards behind me. The buck stops and looks at me like I'm interrupting something. I shoot and drop him, wait a few minutes, then stand up to range him out of curiosity, since I was in the mood and set up to take a long shot. He laid dead in his tracks at 11 yards in front of my chair.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sunday morning:
Got to my tree late. Right as the horizon began glowing, I was unrolling my shooting mat and stuffing myself and my gear under a large cedar tree. My forecast was wrong. Ended up being about 30*f and a strong southern wind at 15mph or so.
Light came and nothing was on the field. I waited for quite a while and nothing. At around 8:10 a doe and fawn showed up in the native grass. She wasn't interested in eating at all and kept watching her six. After a few minutes she bolted for the timber line. This buck was chasing her pretty hard. They ran for a stretch of about 200 yards or so. The doe stopped right before the treeline(conspiracy) and he stopped too. I had about 20 seconds to judge him before deciding on taking a shot. I saw on his main beams that there was fair mass and he was well past his ear on his right side(couldn't see much on his left). I saw that he was very non-typical. Though, size alone, I probably would have passed him up in past times, I haven't been able to put much time in the field in the last couple years. I took the shot. I cursed myself as I felt the recoil start to push because I forgot to dial for dope. The shot was 327 yards. I heard the thud and he dropped his head. He bolted over the hill into oblivion (see first pic). Ultimately he made it about 200 yards.

9 points, 143 dressed

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my first suppressed kill Saturday 11:45. Pretty big doe. I don't have scales, but she was good size.

6.8 SPC II 18" AR15
AR Performance barrel.
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40.
Silencerco Specwar 762.
SSA Sierra Pro Hunter 110gr.

I watched her and two other does feeding on acorns inside the treeline from about 7:30 till 11:45. They would work their way towards me, but never step out into the open. I had to get back in town, so I got my gear together, walked to the edge of the wood line and they were about 50 yds inside. I worked to where I could see this one, and she stepped into a lane facing me. They never knew I was there. I put the 110gr. Sierra through the pump station and she went about 50 yds.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out this morning and sat at one of the feeders for about an hour and after seeing just doe's and a small buck, I decided to go to another location. After walking about 200 yds. I hear my wife's little brother shoot on the other end of the property. Then not even 2 minutes after that I see this guy coming up out of a valley about 200 yds. in front of me. I pulled up my Browning B78 in 7mm STW and pulled the trigger and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

2491-1.jpg

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Went in tonight to make a kill. Had no idea id only have to set for 20min to make it happen. Been watching this deer for 3 years, first up close Incounter tonight. Shot this 11 point with my 6.8spc. Suppressed with a AAC SDN-6 7.62, Hornady 110 bthp. Had to get my kids in the pic.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had an AWESOME experience today. I proposed to my girlfriend (now fiancé) today and it went well. Then, this evening I took her hunting.

To give a bit of background, she's never been hunting or fishing. She just wasn't around it growing up. She loves shooting, but again wasn't raised around it. I've taken her to the range and got her some experience with the fundamentals. Although she's not shot much precision, I've focused on marksmanship with her.

Despite the wind it was pretty nice out. A while before sundown, a nub-buck (thought it was a doe) stepped out. I ranged it at 287 yards. Based on her experience, I didn't favor her taking a shot at that range with the wind conditions, but she really felt confident after several dry-fire attempts. Trusting her, I dialed 4.75 MOA for dope and had her favor for about .75 MOA for wind. After presenting a good broadside target I let her send it. WHACK! Deer down! She was surgical.

Based on her impact I would have called .25 minutes less on elevation and .25 minutes more on wind, but an amazing experience for a first-timer. She's ready for more!

Latest posts

Top Bottom