‘Guns on Campus: Tamron Hall Investigates’ tonight on ID

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the UT Chancellor's lengthy military history...the one being interviewed that lobbied heavily against campus carry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._McRaven
Still watching the Olympics, but did read the bio. Most officers at his level are so far removed from the folks that work for them that its basically a political job. General officers that don't follow the commander in chief's political philosophy either never get promoted or are fired. Doesn't matter who is in office.
Another officer at his same rank could have a 180 degree opinion of gun ownership and gun rights.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As Yukon said, it was fairly balanced. I thought there should have been more than a mention that several other states allow campus carry as well as questions about how that has worked out and if any problems have resulted.

The argument that CC will hinder free speech I have read before by a college English professor (posted in this forum) that also argued that the artillery in front of the National Guard Armory next to the campus also intimidated students from expressing ideas freely. The idea that free speech will be hindered is a ridiculous argument in my opinion. When the UTA professor talked about heated, passionate debates that could be restricted because students will be afraid, I couldn't help but think that students having to think about how they express their opinion also being an important life skill to learn. The armed society is a polite society if you will.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I watched and was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure if you put a counter and stopwatch to it, the time and number of anti campus carry people and comments slant in their favor. However, I didn't see any biased stacking to damage the pro carry side. You know, like putting some elmer fudd goofball up there to make us look stupid. They also didn't stack the guest list with hysterical anti gun loons spewing dishonest debate tactics either (except the UT prof with the stupid debate fearmongering). Overall it was calm, reasonable give and take, along with historically accurate information. They were respectful to the survivors and vice versa.

While I'm disappointed in the Admiral for assuming that every concealed carry permit holder is an unprepared
neophyte and every armed criminal is a spec ops level warrior, it's low hanging fruit for a flag officer who preferred that enlisted under his command only be "hot" on the firing line or battlefield. Especially when his bread and butter are served to him on an ultra left wing platter at UT Austin. The simple fact is that we've seen pre-teens repel armed home invaders and bona fide meat eaters like Chris Kyle fall to a mentally ill attacker. We've also seen cops injure innocent bystanders while missing the perp and mass murderers like Patrick Sherill pretty much go one for one. The likelihood or statistics on whether concealed carry will ensure victory or death are absolutely irrelevant. It's a matter of self determination and exercising the most effective tools of the natural right of ones' own defense.

My only real beef is the unchallenged use of, and forgive me for using their tactics against them here, "trigger phrases" 'gun violence' and 'gun lobby'. There is no such thing as gun violence, because guns never attack anyone on their own. Seeing as I'm not made of aluminum, polymer and steel, I am not a gun lobbying for constitutionally enumerated natural rights of humans either. Bad people feloniously harm victims and good people (who aren't required to wear a uniform to be good) oppose them. Firearms are merely the most effective tool for the job, whether that job is good or evil.

Last edited:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well
So I watched and was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure if you put a counter and stopwatch to it, the time and number of anti campus carry people and comments slant in their favor. However, I didn't see any biased stacking to damage the pro carry side. You know, like putting some elmer fudd goofball up there to make us look stupid. They also didn't stack the guest list with hysterical anti gun loons spewing dishonest debate tactics either (except the UT prof with the stupid debate fearmongering). Overall it was calm, reasonable give and take, along with historically accurate information. They were respectful to the survivors and vice versa.

While I'm disappointed in the Admiral for assuming that every concealed carry permit holder is an unprepared
neophyte and every armed criminal is a spec ops level warrior, it's low hanging fruit for a flag officer who preferred that enlisted under his command only be "hot" on the firing line or battlefield. Especially when his bread and butter are served to him on an ultra left wing platter at UT Austin. The simple fact is that we've seen pre-teens repel armed home invaders and bona fide meat eaters like Chris Kyle fall to a mentally ill attacker. We've also seen cops injure innocent bystanders while missing the perp and mass murderers like Patrick Sherill pretty much go one for one. The likelihood or statistics on whether concealed carry will ensure victory or death are absolutely irrelevant. It's a matter of self determination and exercising the most effective tools of the natural right of ones' own defense.

My only real beef is the unchallenged use of, and forgive me for using their tactics against them here, "trigger phrases" 'gun violence' and 'gun lobby'. There is no such thing as gun violence, because guns never attack anyone on their own. Seeing as I'm not made of aluminum, polymer and steel, I am not a gun lobbying for constitutionally enumerated natural rights of humans either. Bad people feloniously harm victims and good people (who aren't required to wear a uniform to be good) oppose them. Firearms are merely the most effective tool for the job, whether that job is good or evil.

Well said

Latest posts

Top Bottom