‘Loose’ camel attacks and kills two at petting zoo, Tennessee officials say

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
d551adea58bc2bc7ae9c2205ba2cd52a

Screengrab from the Pumpkin Barn on Facebook
Tanasia Kenney
Fri, March 11, 2022, 11:12 AM

Two people are dead after a camel attack at a petting zoo in Tennessee, according to authorities.
The deadly incident occurred around 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, March 10, at Shirley Farms in Obion, Tennessee, the sheriff’s office announced in a news release.
Deputies responded to a call of a “loose” camel in the area and arrived to find “two unconscious victims on the ground.”
Both succumbed to their injuries and died at the scene, authorities said.
While trying to move one of the victims to EMS, deputies said the animal attacked an Obion Sheriff’s Office patrol car and then charged at the deputies.
“It was at this time officers had to put the camel down for the safety of everyone on scene,” the release states.
Authorities have identified the victims as Bobby Matheny, 42, of Ridgely and Tommy Gunn, 67, of Obion.
McClatchy News reached out to Shirley Farms for comment on Friday, March 11, and was awaiting a response.
It’s unclear what type of camel was involved in the attack, but roughly 90% of the world’s camels are dromedary, or Arabian camels, according to PBS.org. The single-humped mammals are typically domesticated, stand about 6.6 feet tall at shoulder height and can weigh up to 1,320 pounds.
Obion is about 100 miles northeast of Memphis.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
‘Aggressive’ coyote poses danger to hikers at Mississippi national park, officials say
Human remains found inside 504-pound gator identified, Louisiana officials say
Rabid fox came ‘out of nowhere,’ attacked people at shopping plaza, GA officials say

BuzzFeed

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The links at the bottom of that story are also enthralling reading.

Honey, could ya just go ahead on and drag me into the house and not leave me out here on the porch with the 12 foot 1/4 ton lizard? I’d appreciate it.

Man no ****! Can you imagine?? Here Grumpy -- lay right here where the damned thing can walk up and grab you again. I'm gonna run inside and "see" if I can find a phone. Now where did I lay that thing down?? 😳😳😳

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was young {50 years ago} we went to Busch Gardens in St. Louis and they had camels in their petting zoo.
I was wearing a brown fuzzy sweater the same color as the camels and one attacked me.
Bit the crap out of my arm, enough to leave bruises and bring a little blood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom