000 buck shot in 38/357 case.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded up 100 rounds of 000 Buck in .38 cases, two balls each, about 12 years ago. I don't remember which powder I used, but it was a fast burning powder with the standard pressure 140 gr. data (000 buck weigh 71 grains) from a Speer #9 manual. I used pieces of cotton balls as wads between the powder and projectiles to keep the projectiles from dropping down into the cases.

They shot really well from a 2 inch S&W Model 49. Three or four inch spread at about ten yards. Nice, pleasant loads to shoot. Messy too! The cotton would come floating out of the barrel well after the shot and drift away with the wind.

The balls were well lubed and the velocity was not high. There was absolutely no lead fouling. If you think about it, a round ball has very little contact with the bore compared to a regular bullet. Just enough to seal, but much less drag. So you get higher velocities and less recoil compared to other projectiles.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I still haven't had a chance to fire these off.
Seems other priorities keep popping up.
But my contract year is getting close to ending so free time is near.

This is what happens when you let an old fart think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom