1 shotgun 3 uses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N8 Soul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for a HD shotgun. I also don't own a 12 ga hunting piece. I saw this deal at impact guns and thought: wow, two birds with one stone... and at a great price? I wanted to ask here first...

How much work would this require in order to use it as advertised? Has any one else used the same shotgun for both hunting and home defense? If so how did it work out? Thanks.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813514828.html

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 Roadking Larry's comment. I have a Mossberg 500 very similar to that. I've never installed the pistol grip.

It works well with the shorter bbl, which is what it wears most of the time in my safe. I pull the small wooden dowel out of the magazine to restore it to larger capacity when in the safe. The dowel goes back in only if I need to reduce the mag capacity for legal hunting.

The 28" bbl is OK. I much prefer hunting with my over/under, so it does not get much use.

In addition to the 28" bbl, I also have a 24" rifled bbl with a cantelever scope mount. It shoots saboted slugs. A 2.5 power Leupold is mounted. I am confident with it out to 125 meters.

For all slug use [with the shorter bbl or with the rifled bbl], it seems happier with 2 3/4 slugs than with the 3" magnums. I am sure of this with the scoped bbl, sorta guessing with the short bbl, since accuracy with a bead sight is nothing to get excited about.

The stock is OK, but the comb is too low for use with the scope. Needs a cheek pad. I will get a leather or neoprene one to put on it one of these days.

Also one of these days, I'll pick up another Mossy with ghost ring sites, which I prefer for HD use, but its not a bad combo to have.

Can't comment on the price. I have not shopped these in a long time.

jej

McLovin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than 3 uses, you can also buy a special black powder barrel that installs in about 60 seconds and lets you use the shotgun as a blackpowder rifle. The 500 isn't the best shotgun but it is extremely versatile and is the best all-around gun I know of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom