Help with 308 load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in need of guidance from the experts! I have been trying to work up a load for my 308 and am not having any luck. I have tried 165 gr nosler partitions, 180 gr accubonds and 150 gr hornady sst. I have tried IMR-4064 and varget with loads from 43 gr to 45 gr of powders. I have varied the bullet length from 2.85"(which is max due to magazine length) to 2.735". I basically get the same type of group from every load I've tried. Also, changed scopes to make sure that wasn't the problem. The group I get every time is 2 shots close to gather and 1 shot 1.5"-2.5" away from the other 2. The odd shot is never the same one. I have tried 3 different factory loads and this doesn't happen with them. I haven't gotten good groups with them either. Best is a 1.5" group with Hornady Whitetail 150 gr. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!!
It is a Mossberg Patriot rifle. I’ve checked the torque on the screws and to be sure barrel is free floated.
I have had the same problem with the same rifle - I use 180gn round nose cast bullets - FIINALLY figured out that I needed to go 4-5gn BELOW minimum ie [around 34gn] on my powder [4064] to get tight at 100yds --- had fair but not good patterns with slightly higher loads and thought I needed to get UP to at least minimum but that was just the opposite of what ended up working

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always be aware that rifles will have a "favorite" powder load/bullet/factory load that it will shoot better than any other. That's the reason for trying different components, or factory loadings, until you find the sweet spot.

I have a Springfield (Savage) 840 bolt-action .30-30 that I accurized due to horrendous accuracy with anything I tried. I was able to wring out a 4-shot 2-inch group using a Winchester case, a 150-gr. Remington RNSP bullet, and Reloder 15. But that same rifle absolutely HATES Winchester Super-X 150-gr. factory loads. It will scatter them all over the target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom