Help with 308 load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont reload so cant help you with that area, but....

I bought a brand new from the factory Bergara 7PRC. couldnt get it to group for sheeeeet. I was about to wrap it around a pole when I happened to notice the barrel was moving a lot when I picked the rifle up. Checked the screws that held the stock to the action and the front one was finger tight, the rear not much more. Torqued them to 55 in/lbs as recommended and presto chango sub .5 MOA. Could be a lot of little things, like as mentioned above, check the rail or base, which ever you use.

Then again....Mossberg. Nice shottys but The 6.5 CM was a POS.

People crap on Remington but I've got 3 and all shoot sub MOA to .5 out of the box. The one I just sold did the same.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing my buddy was doing was making all his loaded rounds the same length.
But in order to do this he changed the seating die to make the base to nose the same.

The noses get dinked up in shipping and the OAL of the loaded round will many times be a little mixed.
You know not to change the seating die.

Another thing is some dies the seating stem will contact the very tip of the bullet and push there.
That is not good you need to drill the seating stem deeper to keep those pointy bullet tips from bottoming out.

Speaking of shoulders on brass.

If your noticing some cases are harder to size than others or harder to extract from the sizing die then you will have variance in where the shoulder is at and that will hurt groups.

Lube in the case neck will hurt groups also.
I Qtip it out and brush necks with nylon brush before and after sizing.

I have tested so many things in the reloading area it is not even funny.

I have made many awesome loads without a chrony.
Some say you need it.
But I have seen where 3 consecutive rounds had the same exact velocity but shot a 3" group.
Just not in a good node.
I agree!
When it comes to the chrono it’s not needed. My all time favorite cartridge is the 308.
I have many loads that shoot sub moa and one that is sub half moa.
I have never used a chrono.
List to what all swaprat is saying.
He has definitely tightened my groups up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend has the same rifle and his load is 1/2" to 3/4" cloverleaf now and Varget powder was used
along with 168A max.

I have had some bullets and some makes of brass that just did not work.
Crimping always hurt my groups.
Keeping bullet seating forces all the same is very important.
We know that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom