120V LED lighting upgrade question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nifrost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the electricians and LED lighting gurus out there......

I want to upgrade the lighting in a two stall boat dock. Currently it has old porcelain fixtures like the first picture below that I think are cool and would like to keep. I believe there are PS30 incandescent bulbs screwed into them (bulbs are frosted with no wattage markings that I can see). They look like the second picture below. Question: Which LED bulb would be a good replacement?

My goals are:
-"nice crisp glow" (for lack of a better term) that the LED's put out
-attracting fewer insects than the incandescent bulbs do
-energy efficiency and lower amp/watt draw

I've seen the PAR38 bulbs online as well as the corncob style bulbs but don't know anything about either one. I know it's difficult to spec without knowing the wattage of my old bulbs, but appreciate any insight anyone has to offer.

image.jpg image.jpg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most times people put 200 watt bulbs in them fixtures. As far as LED goes I really cant help you since i havent used many of them but what i have used in a outdoor situation i havent been happy with.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) How bright do you want the light? Usually the PS25-35's are 150-300 watts. Tough to get that brightness in a LED around the same size.
2) A flood will only shoot the light straight down where a A style lamp (that you pictured above) will glow. So a PAR flood would be good if 15' or so up for example but not good for 10' and down
3) Also think about what "color" you want. Warmer halogen/incandescent (2700-3000k) or cooler white color of 4100-5000K (above that is just too blue)
4) How many fixtures do you have?

Latest posts

Top Bottom