12GA or M4/AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREGO

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you could only rely on one long gun platform, be it a 12GA pump or an AR15/M4 rifle, as a one does all...which would it be for most of you? I have to say, for me it would be a Remington 12GA pump with a 6+1 magazine capacity.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im thinking an M4. Lots of thirty round magazines would work. I guess it would depend on the situation. I mean its hard to bring down a quail with an M4 but its hard to hit a deer at a hundred yards with a shotgun.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda have to know what you mean by 'rely on'....rely on for what purpose?

All around, for everything platform? Then I'd go with the 12ga. With the right load, you can hunt a very wide variety of game (4 or 2 legged) with it and either destroy as little or as much meat as you need to.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kinda have to know what you mean by 'rely on'....rely on for what purpose?

All around, for everything platform? Then I'd go with the 12ga. With the right load, you can hunt a very wide variety of game (4 or 2 legged) with it and either destroy as little or as much meat as you need to.

+100!!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. To me, a good scattergun it's worth more than a dozen rifles.

My "go to" gun is my Mossberg 590. When my Remington coach gun arrives, it will probably share that honor/duty as well. Maybe even more so, because it will be lighter and shorter.

There are basically only three rifles in exsistence that I care to own. I own one now - my Winchester 94, chambered in 30-30 with the larger "John Wayne" style lever.

The other two rifles are a Ruger 10/22 and a Springfield M1A. :thumb:

I had an M4...for about a month or two.

I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. :disappoin

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 isn't a very good all round cartridge. 12 Ga isn't bad but it has way too many limitations...why not a real battle rifle in at least 308. I can shoot ducks with one(no one said they have to be flying), deer, elk, with a good mag capacity, bear and bigger....but I deify anyone to show me their favorite .223 elk rifle.