$147 million to Brazil in Farm Bill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was on Foxnews and others but has since been pulled for some reason. Gee I wonder why? :P Oh and this is a yearly thing because of the stupidity of congress.

Americans could be on the hook to send Brazilian cotton farmers millions of dollars if Congress passes the current version of the farm bill making its way through both chambers.

The measure is just one of dozens of provisions and amendments tucked into the sprawling 1,000-page bill which some critics are blasting as a pork-filled government giveaway. While lawmakers on the House side began debating their version on Tuesday -- with much of the debate centered on the bill's funding for food stamps -- others are raising alarm about the subsidies that remain in the package.

The yearly $147 million payout to Brazil, for example, is part of the international fallout stemming from U.S. government subsidies for domestic cotton farmers.

About a decade ago, Brazil sued the U.S. before the World Trade Organization. In its complaint, the South American country claimed the U.S. government had subsidized American cotton farmers so much it would make it impossible for other countries to compete. The WTO sided with Brazil in 2004 and said the country had a right to impose punishing trade measures against America.

“Instead of fixing the problem, the U.S. decided to pay off Brazil,” Christine Harbin, a federal policy analyst at Americans for Prosperity, told FoxNews.com. “We send Brazil $147 million a year. So not only do we pay domestic farmers not to farm, we are paying foreign farmers to look the other way.”

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always laugh at my farmer friends who support the farm bill because they get subsidies for equipment. While at the same time, they are unable to afford new equipment because the farm bill keeps prices artificially low, to the point of putting some of them out of business.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I view the Farm Bill just like I do welfare, corp bailouts, etc, if they only helped those that really needed it until they could get back on their feet, then I would have no problem with it at all. Instead we have billions going to people that do not really need help and most of the time once they start getting the handouts it just keeps going. A case in point, Bruce Springsteen received farm subsidies because he leases his property to an organic farmer. WTF!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom