147gr problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a box of Winchester 147gr JHP today at wal mart. Afterwards I was talking to a guy and he was saying that you shouldn't buy 147gr b/c it has problems. Have any of you had that experience? If so what's the problems did you have. I'm shooting a Glock 34.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 147's in all of my 9mm's with no issues. They are the easiest to make subsonic for use with supressors. In fact I just switched to J&K hardcast lead 147"s for competition. I like em a lot.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
147's are not my personal choice. I prefer the Winchester Ranger SXT 127 +P+ or the Speer Gold Dot 115 +P+.

The slow heavy bullet crowd prefer the 147's and the light fast bullet crowd prefer the 115-127 range. Any of them will work just fine if you do your part and place them well.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Any of them will work just fine if you do your part and place them well.

This about sums it up. I've shot just about every weight between 115gr and 147gr through my Sig, and it never cared. I've never noticed a functional difference between them. As far as down range performance... that's a whole 'nuther can 'o worms. There are positives to light and fast (think .223 rifle rounds), and there are positives to slow and heavy (more towards the .45 acp - flying bowling ball).

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
147's didn't seem to run well in dirty mags while my 115's still would. This was in my xd mags after they went into the red dirt at okc gun club. No problems after I cleaned my mags.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like he may have had a problem.
There's always a couple who do with just about anything.
Doesn't make him wrong. Probably just his experience.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load 147 gr. FMJ's in muy 9mm at ca 900 fps with excellent results ina wide variety of 9mm semi autos -- Glock 17, S&W 99, S&W M&P9Pro, Sig 226. I prefer using either Bullseye, VV N-330 or WSF. WSF has become one of my favorites for 9mm loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom