147gr problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with 147 grain 9mm bullets. However, the question reminded me of an internet article on self-defense ammo http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm Quoting from the article:

"Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks."

This article might be the source of your friend's opinion. Please note: I'm just the messenger!

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with 147 grain 9mm bullets. However, the question reminded me of an internet article on self-defense ammo http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm Quoting from the article:

"Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks."

This article might be the source of your friend's opinion. Please note: I'm just the messenger!

Actually it is his source! I told him that I posted this question and no one on here so far said that they had any problems w/147 hp's. He said that he had read that on chuck hawks site. We concluded that it probably is one of those things that some people swear by and others swear against.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The chuck hawk site has some very dated info especially about the 147s. Originally the 147 gr bullets performed very poorly current production performs very well and has the wider variety of recommended loads than any other 9mm weight.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
I can't find it, but I did read a terminal ballistic study on the 147. There were some issues with good expansion on some of the hollow points
tested. I can't remember what the brands were, but it was the lack of velocity that caused the problem. The fix? Load your own. I have loaded some plus
loads for my wife to shoot in her G19. Let's just say she has no problem shooting the .357 mag anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom