$150,000 for a Ford?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Replaceable part. Actually had 6 failures in the 2019 Baha Race, all of them raced the next day after completing, others where out of the race (weren't Ford.) They kept that as a production feature. Yes, expensive to fix, but if your racing and/or spending 70K + on a racing truck you shouldn't care. However before they sold this generation Raptor the most asked for feature was headlight wipers, a good sign it is a misunderstood market.
It's still just makes no sense economically. Why would anybody buy something that expensive that is missing all the good parts when they can build a much better "truck" for less money. Bending frame, no long travel suspension, no redundant systems. Still can't carry a sheet of plywood and if the frame bends, can't take the kids to school. It's like buying a supercar and living on a 3K square foot island.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sold my F450 for what I paid for it two years ago. I loved that truck, but where we built our house it is too rough a ride and the 5th wheel is going up for sale soon. Picked up a gently used Tundra in Muskogee over the weekend. They cant get the larger trucks, and my model year had issues with the power train control module losing its mind. I am not missing it so far.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting thread, makes me feel better, today I just put a set of $600 new tires on my old 1994 K1500 suburban "fishing Truck" that I refused to take $1500 trade in a few years ago and just kept it sitting parked out under my trees for a backup. I had put "take offs" on it the past couple of times because it does not get many miles but they rotted away pretty quickly. Yep 185K miles, old real 350 4wd auto with left back exhaust manifold bolt broke and leaking. Alternator bracket powersteering, and manifold have to be taken off to get to replacing the gasket and bolt. Someone quoted me $200 to do that. Going to need a new battery soon, tag is $26, Insurance is minimal. Might have to start driving it more to get my $ worth out of these tires before they rot away. Ha

I am fortunate. I do not get my pay "docked" if I am late for fishing, backing down a shallow ramp with water almost in the back door pulling the boat out of the water once a year, or being late getting a half mile to the outdoor muddy shooting range if I had some kind of problem or stuck and needed a tractor to pull me out. It is parked outside under the trees, but I do try to wash it at least twice a year or so to keep it looking respectable. Tree blows a big limb out one of my trees, no problem, chain in the back, click 4WD and drag it to the burn pile. I find it better than a $5K four wheeler would be for my usage.

Yep, I am an old guy, "flash takes cash". How much flash is important to me? I am past that "Fast takes cash," been there done that, replaced fast car syndrom with a couple airplanes, can do 145mph for hours if I want any direction for 8 hours if you do not have to stop and pee or eat with one, (yes ways to work around that) think about that circle from where you are. or land in my back yard with the other one if I want.

Bottom line, every individual has to set their "standards" of what they are willing to spend to drive, ride, or even fly what appeals to them for it to put a smile on their face.

We who grew up in the USA have had a very unique special opportunity to work hard, capitalize on what was available to us, and succeed to make that happen in many cases. Mud on my 98 Jeep Wrangler is working for me right now cause I remember where it came from as a "badge" as is a little 145mph trip to Gulf Shores collecting bugs I need to remove from the leading edge of the wings, without refueling or setting down my other one with a 240 ft roll most anywhere that is relatively flat and less than 2 ft grass.

While we are thinking about how much of a disservice it might be to have to pay over list price of our new whizzo pick up truck vehicle, lets not forget how many people in other countries are having to make those same type of decisions for what food and water they consume and remember how great of a country the USA was and still could be in the future as long as we do not follow their path.
Nope not considering a new vehicle at this time, have not used my old ones up yet.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's still just makes no sense economically. Why would anybody buy something that expensive that is missing all the good parts when they can build a much better "truck" for less money. Bending frame, no long travel suspension, no redundant systems. Still can't carry a sheet of plywood and if the frame bends, can't take the kids to school. It's like buying a supercar and living on a 3K square foot island.
Wow, you really are hung up on the Frame Structure designed to break, even though it would not occur in any of the situations you have just described. Heck, you break a dodge, chevy, gmc, toyota or nissan frame and the vehicle is totaled and yes, they do break. I can guarantee this those trucks wouldn't hold up on unpaved terrain or be able to match the speed of the Raptor. On the ford the piece that breaks is replaceable and designed to do it to preserve the entire frame and is not on all F150's. You cannot drive an Indy or F1 car on the street btw, the reason why, the frame will break. Good luck to you, say what you want. I do agree that the pricing is ridiculous.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you really are hung up on the Frame Structure designed to break, even though it would not occur in any of the situations you have just described. Heck, you break a dodge, chevy, gmc, toyota or nissan frame and the vehicle is totaled and yes, they do break. I can guarantee this those trucks wouldn't hold up on unpaved terrain or be able to match the speed of the Raptor. On the ford the piece that breaks is replaceable and designed to do it to preserve the entire frame and is not on all F150's. You cannot drive an Indy or F1 car on the street btw, the reason why, the frame will break. Good luck to you, say what you want. I do agree that the pricing is ridiculous.
Just hung up on it because in all my years of desert racing and Ultra4 (yes, me in the cars and building them) I've never seen accommodations for a planned structural failure. The suspensions take up that impact..
And I wasn't talking Indy car in the city. I'm talking the same sense it makes to buy a Ferrari and live on a deserted island. It's not practical.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just hung up on it because in all my years of desert racing and Ultra4 (yes, me in the cars and building them) I've never seen accommodations for a planned structural failure. The suspensions take up that impact..
And I wasn't talking Indy car in the city. I'm talking the same sense it makes to buy a Ferrari and live on a deserted island. It's not practical.
Just out of curiosity how many miles did you cover in an Ultra 4 race? Not a racing "participant," however a technology enthusiast. Have had every major issue with cars from blown head gaskets (nissan) , thrown pistons (Mopar), Seized motor (AMC) blown up transmissions (Ford), and a broken chevy and a honda frame ( the frames were both were son's cars.) My attitude, it's always something! I do respect your opinion, and experience nowI just don't agree. I suspect Ford did it on the Baha races since the body did not permit as much suspension travel., however I do not know if they officially require homologation

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2021 Raptor doesn’t look that impressive. At least not on the track.

Would be curious how that would look with the 540 HP Shelby version or the upcoming 725 HP 5.0 Raptor. What they don't mention is did the Rivain make it back home due to its batteries draining.

Last edited:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how many miles did you cover in an Ultra 4 race? Not a racing "participant," however a technology enthusiast. Have had every major issue with cars from blown head gaskets (nissan) , thrown pistons (Mopar), Seized motor (AMC) blown up transmissions (Ford), and a broken chevy and a honda frame ( the frames were both were son's cars.) My attitude, it's always something! I do respect your opinion, and experience nowI just don't agree. I suspect Ford did it on the Baha races since the body did not permit as much suspension travel., however I do not know if they officially require homologation
Usually varied from about 240 to 450ish. Longest race was sunrise start sunset finish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom