17 HMR...Dang!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20170411_121909_resized.jpg

20170411_121927_resized.jpg 20170411_122154_resized.jpg 20170411_122013_resized.jpg

I have never showed much interest in the 17 HMR, but got a chance to buy one from a fellow OSA member a couple days ago, so I thought I would try one.

It takes a lot to impress this old Social Security age soul, but I am impressed!

Top pic shows a hit on one of my 22 silhouette (1/4 inch mild steel)...line up a bunch of these on a railroad tie and my grandkids can show you how to make a box of 22's disappear before you can say it :)...they have taken many a 22 hits without even a dent, but the 17 made a definite impression.

Second pic is a good size bulge on the back.

Accuracy from my 35 yard bench was certainly acceptable. I am somewhat of an accuracy freak, so this group made me smile.

17 grains with polymer tip moving at 2550 FPS.

I can't imagine what a head shot would be like on one of our big Creek County Red tree rats,
and the next time I catch one of our many prarie poodles circling my chicken house, I think I will put one between his ears and see what happens.

Yep, this one has earned a permanent place in my gun vault.

Happy shooting!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
17HMR is an awesome little round...17WSM (20gr at 3000fps) is more awesome.
Both will devastate small game (prairie dogs and the like) and still take out things like Coyote with a well placed shot.

Get on youtube and search 17hmr explosion (or 17wsm explosion for that matter) to watch what they do to little critters...they just fragment upon impact.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been tickled pink with mine, bought a cheap savage with a 3-9 Nikon prostaff a decade ago, haven't really shot it much.

Just fooling around from the bench, I'm sure I could do better with more magnification, my eyes not so bueno..

i.imgur.com_kHKfLnK.jpg

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been tickled pink with mine, bought a cheap savage with a 3-9 Nikon prostaff a decade ago, haven't really shot it much.

Just fooling around from the bench, I'm sure I could do better with more magnification, my eyes not so bueno..

i.imgur.com_kHKfLnK.jpg
Deerwhacker,

Very good groups, indeed.

I plan to try out this little thing at 100 yard prone. I would love to do as well as you did at 100. Maybe even today if I can get the rest of my corn planted.

I didn't mention in the OP, but I also shot a steel 22 size chicken, which flew over the berm back into the weeds and brush...I never did find it.

BTW...Love your avatar :)

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 7 years plinking, the humble 17HMR is still my favorite rifle round. While it's fun to stretch out the 6.5x47 to a grand, nothing feels better than putting a prairie dog down with that little rimfire cartridge.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After 7 years plinking, the humble 17HMR is still my favorite rifle round. While it's fun to stretch out the 6.5x47 to a grand, nothing feels better than putting a prairie dog down with that little rimfire cartridge.
Bought a CZ 17 hmr in December that I like very much. Haven't had a chance to shoot it since adding a scope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom