1911 Carry Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to put down a deer that a poacher had shot on my land and left. I was using Hornaday Critical Defense 185 grain. Recovered bullet expanded to .72 inches and still weighed 183 grains. I'm not saying it is the best, because I've never tested anything else, but I was impressed, and that's what I still use for carry ammo.

I would not want to play "catch the bullet" with any of the above listed ammo.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Time to purchase fresh carry ammo. Have been carrying Fed hydra shok 230 grain +p. My gun likes it...but in the never ending quest for a better mouse trap, is there anything else out there worth looking at? I just read the article in the NRA magazine about the newer federal HST. Academy also has a new sd round from Remington.

Everyone's thoughts?

Guard Dog feeds reliably, gets good marks and most important is available. I like the looks of the DRT in Sanford's post but the Gold Dot did not fair well in that test. Too bad they didn't have a trap behind the gel. Hornady Critical Defense is what I had carried for a couple of years and never had an issue with it.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=938

Latest posts

Top Bottom