THE REVOLVERS OF TIGER MCKEE (Shootrite)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dis be my chopper. Don’t have the heart to bob it.
This will be my “I’m an old man sitting in a recliner and I won’t get up but I’ll shoot your ass from full recline if you bust my front door in” gun.
I have hopefully a decade or two before I put it into full time use.
image.jpg

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Met Tiger years ago at Thunder Ranch and found him to be a common sense and down to earth type of guy like most of Clint's instructors were/are. Enjoyed his move and shoot training segments with the 1911, revolver and the AR platform. Also a great sense of humor when my left foot got tangled up with my right foot and I did a swan dive right in the middle of the barricade course........

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/we-have-lost-another-great-gun-guy/

WE HAVE LOST ANOTHER GREAT GUN GUY
April 17, 2023
We were deeply saddened to learn that over this past weekend we lost one of our great instructors and commentators in the defensive firearms field. Tiger McKee passed away, suddenly and unexpectedly, at his home in Alabama. He was only 61.

For many years now, his training at his ShootRite Academy proved to be top-notch. Tiger was a good personal friend, and a man of many talents. See that snazzy looking Smith & Wesson revolver in the photo here? That’s a Tiger McKee Chopper, customized by the hands of the man himself for maximum speed of employment and hit potential. If you are fortunate enough to own one, you now have a precious collector’s item. He made them smooth as glass. Tiger was a helluva knife-maker, too, and I’m proud to own one that he forged and sharpened himself.

On YouTube, you’ll be able to find some of the training videos he did for our mutual friend Tom Gresham, on Tom’s Gun Talk TV and his Personal Defense TV series. You’ll see a quintessential Southern gentleman. Tiger was much like my old friend and mentor Bill Jordan in that respect: “talk slow and shoot fast.” Like Jordan, he was soft-spoken in person, but an absolutely commanding presence when circumstances demanded.

Tiger wrote two excellent books. One was The Book of Two Guns: The Martial Art of the 1911 Pistol and AR Carbine and the other was AR-15 Skills & Drills: Learn to Run Your AR Like a Pro. You can order both from Amazon.com.

Don’t let the books trick you into thinking Tiger was exclusive to those two firearms. When the Glock gained popularity, Tiger mastered it and taught it adroitly. When another old favorite became resurgent a couple of years ago with Springfield Armory’s SA-35 came out, Tiger renewed his acquaintance with that clone of the classic Browning Hi-Power and did a great series of articles on how to get the most out of it at The Tactical Wire, where his work appeared regularly. He was also a regular contributor to a couple of magazines I also write for, American Handgunner and Guns. Toward the end of his life, Tiger developed a renewed appreciation for fine revolvers, hence his much sought-after custom work on the S&W “Choppers.”

Deepest condolences to his many friends and students, his family, and especially Tiger McKee’s wonderful wife Gretchen. It’s not a cliché to say that we in the gun world are diminished by his passing.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Tiger his real name? Not sure if I could go to a training session and ask "Hey Tiger, how about..." without busting up laughing.

Also, if not his real name, it has the reek of wannabe mallninja. He may be the best training out there, but I can't take anyone who goes by the moniker Tiger seriously. That's just me, though.

ETA: Well it looks like Tiger is his real name through his mother's obituary and he did die a couple of days ago... Now I feel like a heel. RIP Tiger.
My cousin Ron was also called Tiger. Haven't heard from anyone on that side of the family since before I landed here, but odds are if he's still alive everyone still calls him Tiger. Including his mother. My brother's name is also Ron, and he was named after his Uncle Ron, Tiger's Dad. I believe my brother is the older of the two younger Ron's. I didn't play that game. My son's name is Alaric, after the guy who conquered the Roman Empire. ;)

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 52 y/o So I’m not quite Tiger McKees age but close enough

I guess I have to get used to it but I am at the age where I shake my head when a 60 year old dude who seems active and fit passes away

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 52 y/o So I’m not quite Tiger McKees age but close enough

I guess I have to get used to it but I am at the age where I shake my head when a 60 year old dude who sings active and fit passes away
About 10 years ago, one of the guys I worked with in Germany (I left there in 1996, retired in1997) had a massive heart attack in the airport in Chicago. He was 49. I was late 50's. Late 60's now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom