1911 mags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the GI issue mags I have work great most of the time.

The CMC Shooting Star mags I use have been 100%. I have a couple of Wilsons that have been perfect in my Colts, but not my Springfield (almost but not quiet).

If you are going to keep and use your 1911 buy some good mags.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go easy on him Gill. GI contract mags work fine. The Govt used them and they are easy to fix if you do have a problem....

I don't see where I was ragging on him???:anyone:

Yep. +1

GIs are great if they work....for the range. :D

I have nothing against GI mags, I just wouldn't bet my life on them. If he is only able to buy a few now, I would suggest a fewer higher quality mags that will support him, if he decides to carry it.

I have many GI mags, shot many times. Had a few failures, not many, but one is too many in a confrontation. When the Armed Services issue them and have a failure in the field, there are other soldiers around to cover as they replace a round or mag. Not so in real life. Depend on quality, my life is worth the additional $10 - $15.

Buy a quality mag, if you are new to the platform, the best way to get frustrated with it, is to hassle with problems. If you can only buy 1 or 2, then do that and maybe a GI mag. I have a RIA, and know that they can be particular with GI mags sometimes. I have never had an issue with my CMC mags.:werd:

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up several cheapo GI mags to load up and take to the range. I keep 3-4 higher end mags for potential self defence use. The wilson 47D props the bullet being fed a touch higher hence a little closer to being in line with the chamber. Does it help? I don't know...probably does. The newer kimber mag is real slick, the follower glides so smoothly. The two shooting star I have seem to work well. Take my advice none to seriously. I've been through four 1911's; two colts, two kimbers and couldn't get any of them to feed hollow points reliably. Kept the kimber eclips to use at the range. Very reliable with ball and lead.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:sunbath:Thanks guys, I did not think you were ragging on me gillman, I missed the RIA you had up for sale & had a few hours to kill before I picked my son up from school stopped in a couple of shops to look sround & there it was anib. Took it out yesterday & it ate everything I put in it. 230 fmj, 230 gold dot hp & my reloads with the 1 mag it came with Shot well I think im going to be pleased with this one:mosh:. Not new to 45's just 1911 & with so many options on them you are the guys to ask. I'll prob pick up some gi's & wilsons

Anyone know who would sell these locally in OKC, try to keep buisness local if posible. Again thanks to all:thumbup3:

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a very lightly used RIA tactical & need a couple of extra mags. This is my 1st 1911 so not really in the know yet, thats why the intro pistol to the 1911 word.

What are your sugestions?

Have seen 1911 kimber, wilson 1911 gov & wilson etm 45 ? on line:thanku:

I use the Novak / Act Mag's in the 45 ACP 1911's. Italian manufacturer of fine quality magazines. I have also used the Metalform and MecGar mags with satisfactory results.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up some 47D's and ETM's from Wilson Combat and have been made a believer.

I haven't ever had more than a handful of issues with GI mags anyway, but I've had zero with the Wilsons and they are so very much easier to load.