1911 nations match barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if the best place to post this, but it is an old milsurp national magazine ch 1911. It looks like the barrel has a hair line crack. Any ideas on the best place to get a replacement barrel? Anything Elsie I should worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_3909.jpeg
    IMG_3909.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colt slide - commercial? Any idea on date?
Colt frame. 68xxx serial number

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if the best place to post this, but it is an old milsurp national magazine ch 1911. It looks like the barrel has a hair line crack. Any ideas on the best place to get a replacement barrel? Anything Elsie I should worry about?
We use Nowlin barrels in our 1911's. They are of a very high quality. The company is located in Okmulgee.

1911 Parts | 1911 9 MM | 1911 Pistol | 1911 Parts | Nowlin Arms

Getting the barrel is relatively easy; fitting it can be challenging. We use a mill for most of our barrel work. I've known others who fit by hand without any power tools (other than maybe a dremel).

You will also need to headspace the barrel, so don't ream it too deep or you'll have to buy another barrel. Of course, you'll need the headspace gauges.

Some other parts may need to be replaced at the same time.

I do not have any experience with drop-in barrels. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can give his input.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colt slide - commercial? Any idea on date?
Colt frame. 68xxx serial number

Damn... That's too bad. That frame is from 1914 so that's a very early gun. You can look under the firing pin stop plate to see if there's a SN stamped on the frame under the plate. Colts between serial number 710001 and about 1139XXX have the serial number stamped there. That will date the slide for you if there is a SN.

Is the frame marked US Property anywhere?

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn... That's too bad. That frame is from 1914 so that's a very early gun. You can look under the firing pin stop plate to see if there's a SN stamped on the frame under the plate. Colts between serial number 710001 and about 1139XXX have the serial number stamped there. That will date the slide for you if there is a SN.

Is the frame marked US Property anywhere?
Yes. Closer I look might be a surface scrape or crack on barrel but still not sure it is safe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Tailgate

Marksman
Reaction score
There are a lot of nice barrels made fairly inexpensively these days for the 1911. I really like the Kart barrels for DIY fitment, but as mentioned Nowlin are very reputable as well. Sometimes you can get Ed Brown barrels as cheap or cheaper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom