REM 1100 barrel with Poly Choke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need some wise counsel:
I have my father’s old 12 ga 1100 from the 60’s. He put a Poly Choke on it back in the day. The gun has not been shot in probably 30+ years. And I have no idea about the poly choke - it rotates more than 1 turn so there’s no telling where the “choke” is now.

1. What do I need to do with the barrel? I thought about cutting it off for shorter HD gun and then installing a newer barrel with REM-Chokes for field use.
2. I’m also guessing that O-rings, spring, etc needs to be replaced & gun thoroughly cleaned.

Any REM 1100 gurus out there have an opinion or advice? My intent is to have functional gun for skeet, doves, etc. that I can pass down in a few years to son-grandson. Thanks for any help!

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rings and springs are probably still good, a good cleaning is probably warranted. Get some cardboard and run some bird shot through the gun at each setting at about 30-40 yards. Start all the way at one end or the other. They are ugly as sin, but I love having a poly choke on my hunting gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had poly chokes on a shotgun my Uncle loaned me when I was just getting into shooting. (JC Higgens)
As has been said, ugly as hell, but I loved it as it's an adjustable at the moment choke. If I saw dove flaring off, a quick twist one way would give a more full choke, and if they were inbound, a twist or two the other way gave a more open choke.
Extremely versatile but the fudds back in the day deemed them unsightly, so they died.
I'd think a really good marketing blitz with some amazing 5 second videos in the production showing how versatile they can be would make a company some change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom