1911 purchase???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's the case, look at the RI or possibly even better, a Springfield GI.

+1

If youre gonna go with a plain jane milspec, spend the extra 100/150 (still below 800) and get the springer.

Dont get me wrong, RIA make a nice 1911, but if I had to choose, even with springers being more expensive, Id choose Springer.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you've never seen a sasquatch?

Here's a picture of one with Elvis.

ai479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_Graphics_BigfootElvis.jpg

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1911 world is all about your final dollar amount that you want to invest. There is a "top 3" kind of option for every price range. If you plan on doing mods on your own, it might be a good idea for us to get an idea of what your finished product is going to look like. Are you planning on adding things on your own that would amount to around $300 more? You might be better off looking around at $1100 1911s in that case.

For instance, if you want aftermarket Novak style sights, I personally would recommend a Springfield Milspec over a GI. Why? Because you're going to spend a good deal of money getting the slide milled for sights.

For an out of box basically ready to go 1911, it's hard to beat a Springfield Loaded model. It already comes with a beavertail and Novaks.

If you can bump your price up by $50 or $100, I STRONGLY suggest taking a look at the Colt XSE lineup. You can usually find decently priced Colts at budsgunshop.com, ar15.com, etc.

Good luck! 1911s are great fun!

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1911 world is all about your final dollar amount that you want to invest.

If you can bump your price up by $50 or $100, I STRONGLY suggest taking a look at the Colt XSE lineup. You can usually find decently priced Colts at budsgunshop.com, ar15.com, etc.

Good luck! 1911s are great fun!

that very true:saywhat: speaking of colt i took a serious look at a colt 1911 today at "academy" in tulsa and really liked it but i liked the "compact":eek2: colt they had right beside it...it had the same grips so i could do the same modifications but would able to carry :cannon:it easier (if i wanted)

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could go with a kimber custom II for $730 ish
Or maybe a STI spartan for $650 ish
Or if you wanna cough up a few more $ you can get
a kimber TLE with night sights and front strap checkering for $870 ish
All these prices are brand new. I'm really wanting to pick up a TLE, but I'm
a few $'s short right now

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of each of the RI's mentioned above. I really like them, though I haven't fired the standard one yet. They've been reliable and I'm impressed with their accuracy. I couldn't ask for more for a gun in the $400-500 range and wouldn't expect nearly as much as they deliver. I will admit I'm no 1911 expert, but I'm very happy with mine.

BTW, BurkLee did you replace the backstrap on your RI? I'm pretty sure mine don't have a lanyard ring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom