1957 Sweet 16 value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a 1957 Browning Sweet 16, 28" full choke barrel that has been used very little and looks very close to new. No sign of ever having any rust. He is thinking about selling it as he's really not a hunter or a collector. He's not hurting to sell it, but would like some ideas on what it's worth. I've see quite a few 1957 models for sale online and on auction sites where they're asking anywhere from $1500-$3000. Also, did any Brownings of that time period come with a vented recoil pad, as this shotgun has one and it looks factory? Thanks for any help!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine had a vented recoil pad.
It was a safe queen of a buddys grandfathers and I tried to sell it and no takers at $850 or even $750.

But this was maybe 10 -15 years ago.
I ended up trading it to Big Boys for a new in the box savage Model 10 heavy barrel 24" threaded .308.

I was happy and they were also.
Their price on that gun way back then was $625 or $650 ? as what I seen in the computer of theirs.

Be nice to find a buyer that will pay big money but I did not know anyone like that.
Most people I know that use a shotgun actually use the things and no safe queens allowed.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a 1957 Browning Sweet 16, 28" full choke barrel that has been used very little and looks very close to new. No sign of ever having any rust. He is thinking about selling it as he's really not a hunter or a collector. He's not hurting to sell it, but would like some ideas on what it's worth. I've see quite a few 1957 models for sale online and on auction sites where they're asking anywhere from $1500-$3000. Also, did any Brownings of that time period come with a vented recoil pad, as this shotgun has one and it looks factory? Thanks for any help!
The big Tulsa gun show is coming up April, fifth and sixth.That's where I would take it if it was mine to sell it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most gun auctions I've been to sell sweet 16's for $700-$800. I gave $700 for my 1946 model, and no, I'm not trying to set a price point. There are some people out there that will pay twice that.
I saw a $400 Henry .22 lever gun go across the auction block for over a thousand bucks at one auction even after I showed the bidder that he could purchase a new one for the aforementioned price.
Said he didn't care. Told his grandson standing next to him that he was going to take that gun home today and was a man of his word.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As you well know, no one can give an accurate value on a gun they can’t see so pictures would really be needed for anything more than a WAG. With that said I’d say a Sweet Sixteen in really good condition should be in the $1,100.00 area and here’s how I get there. I recently (in the past couple of years) bought this Belgian made Light Twelve, two barrel set at H&H for $750 and you know they don’t give anything away. I’d add a $300 premium for a Sweet Sixteen and given that was a couple of years ago maybe a little more to someone who really really…..really wanted it. For anything more than that it would need to have some pretty impressive wood. Now if it has something along the line of Exhibition Grade English Walnut for furniture that would change things and pictures would be a must. Just my $0.02
IMG_7207.jpeg
IMG_7208.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As you well know, no one can give an accurate value on a gun they can’t see so pictures would really be needed for anything more than a WAG. With that said I’d say a Sweet Sixteen in really good condition should be in the $1,100.00 area and here’s how I get there. I recently (in the past couple of years) bought this Belgian made Light Twelve, two barrel set at H&H for $750 and you know they don’t give anything away. I’d add a $300 premium for a Sweet Sixteen and given that was a couple of years ago maybe a little more to someone who really really…..really wanted it. For anything more than that it would need to have some pretty impressive wood. Now if it has something along the line of Exhibition Grade English Walnut for furniture that would change things and pictures would be a must. Just my $0.02
View attachment 466377View attachment 466378
Exceptional example!

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 466377View attachment 466378
Thats a pretty fair deal on a Belgium Auto 5 with extra barrel. Especially if no pitting and the shape it appears to be in. Without seeing in person or extra high quality pics Brownings are hard to price sometimes. Barrels, length. chokes, ribs, year ,condition, wood, etc. have a wide range in price. Also there is a huge difference in what like new is to some with 70 year old guns. I would think if truly near new 1957 unaltered Belgium sweet sixteen it would bring well north of 1100 bucks. JMO

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime someone mentions Sweet 16 I go into depression. I bought in 1969 ( I was 17) a new Browning Sweet 16. It was my pride and joy for quail hunting mostly. Some years later being young and stupid I got into a self inflicted financial squeeze. I took it to a pawn shop to pawn and he would not pawn and would only buy. I sold it for a ridiculous price because I was desperate. I think that incident soley is responsible that I NEVER put myself in a financial squeeze for the rest of my life.

Worp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input from everyone. My gunsmith sold my 1970 sweet 16 with vent rib and improved cylinder a few months back for $900. It was a really nice gun that I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old. It was used a lot until I was in my 30's when I pretty well quit bird hunting. I used it so much that there wasn't any gold left on the trigger and the bluing on the back or the receiver where you hold the gun was wearing thin. I couldn't even begin to guess how many rounds had been through that shotgun as me and my buds hunted and shot clay pigeons all the time. When I get time I'll post some pics of my friend's gun. Thanks again everyone!