1st Amendment protects military funeral protesters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, they aren't calling the people at funerals fags. They are protesting about public issues. They are using funerals as a platform to gain more publicity.

So in the former case, the speech is public and not directed at any individual in particular.

I beg to differ. WBC has and does target specific individuals at their "protests". They call them out by name and make specific references to them. I'd show you the evidence if I could get to their website which is still apparantly down due to hackers or possibly overloaded from the attention today.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How were the Snyders' civil rights violated?
I believe they should be able to assemble and attend a funeral (In most cases a funeral is a religious ceremony) without being intimidated or interfered with.

I beg to differ. WBC has and does target specific individuals at their "protests". They call them out by name and make specific references to them. I'd show you the evidence if I could get to their website which is still apparantly down due to hackers or possibly overloaded from the attention today.

I agree, they do not show up at random places. These people are targeted.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe they should be able to assemble and attend a funeral (In most cases a funeral is a religious ceremony) without being intimidated or interfered with.

How were the Snyders intimidated or interfered with?

The protest was not at the funeral. The picketing was conducted 1,000 feet away and out of sight of the church (while Maryland law only required 100 feet). In fact, the Snyders could only see the tops of the picketing signs when driving to or from the funeral.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that it's a good ruling. My only concern is that on it's face, it would appear to overturn all other hate speech laws.

i'd be fine with that. I don't think hate laws are a good thing.

Making actions illegal is one thing, making the thoughts behind them is something else entirely.

Why should beating someone up be any worse whether you uttered a gay slur instead of just thinking it? All the hate crime law does is make it a tougher sentence because you expressed an idea (in this case that being gay was somehow bad or something).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How were the Snyders intimidated or interfered with?

The protest was not at the funeral. The picketing was conducted 1,000 feet away and out of sight of the church (while Maryland law only required 100 feet). In fact, the Snyders could only see the tops of the picketing signs when driving to or from the funeral.

he also didn't decide to sue until he read some poem about himself/wife and their son on the internet that the wbc wrote several days later IIRC.

6shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great points of view from all. I agree with the ruling as it is free speech but, what bothers me is the fact that someone would do this during the time of loss of a loved one. While I don’t follow what these people do the fact is they advertise they are coming, that stirs the media up and then it seems to go wrong for the grieving family. Don’t know if this would be considered a peaceful demonstration or not but, don’t some cities and towns require a permit. Maybe they should put the effort into the 3 time DUI that kills a family of 5 or the mother who drove her car into the lake and drowned her kids or the drug dealer who gets off with a reduced sentence. Seems there effort would be better served if they took up some of these issues.

A child of the 60s

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the hi-jack but I still giggle at the fact that their websites are down.... shouldn't talk trash to hackers. :D

Carry on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom