1st Attempt With Magnum Rifle Cartridges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the aggravation that can accompany case head separations, it’s just best to discard the brass after you pull the bullet, dump the powder and remove the primer. Having 50,000-63,000 psi close to your face is nothing to sneeze at. If you notice any other brass that is questionable, toss it as well. It’s just not worth it. Brass is a cheep expendable item when compared to the other parts it can have an adverse effect on.
Agreed.
When going through my brass while doing sizing, priming, or whatever if I come across any that look in any way odd; I toss them. I've been known to toss brass that otherwise looked fine but there was something about it that just rubbed me wrong. Don't know why. After a while you'll get a feel for how it should look and feel. If something doesn't seem right, toss it.

A fellow reloader taught me how to identify split and cracked brass by sound. Yes, sound. A split piece of brass, when mixed with good brass and shaken in the hand, will ring like a bell.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now what to do with that bad brass.
Recycle it at the local scrap yard for a little pocket change when you get enough.

Pinch the case mouth shut with pliers so some other guy does not try and use it.
You can use it for a hole punch to make holes in gaskets instead of trying to drill or cut with a razor blade.

You can take some copper wire say solid 12 gauge and bend it into a U shape and insert it into the case.
The bent U part needs to be sticking above the case mouth 1/2" or so.
Now pour molten lead into that case.

Wait make sure that case has a spent primer in it and is dry.

Now that copper wire is stuck in the lead and you can tie it to your fishing pole and use it for a sinker.
Instant sinker mold :)

Those sinkers like that will fly really far.

You can save some and make arts and crafts from them also.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I know in the scope of things it ain't the biggest rifle out there, but it's the biggest I have (right now) and these are my first handloads for it. So I'm excited and damn, I can't wait to take it out to the range!

View attachment 259582View attachment 259583

Let us know how they shoot. Years ago I had a 300WSM but I rebarreled it to a 7WSM. You might try H4350 or Hybrid 100V for 190/200 grain bullets. That is, if you can ever find it.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let us know how they shoot. Years ago I had a 300WSM but I rebarreled it to a 7WSM. You might try H4350 or Hybrid 100V for 190/200 grain bullets. That is, if you can ever find it.
Will do.

I see the Hybrid 100V is available, guess I should pick some up. Still no H4350 though. Don't know when we'll see that again...