• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy 2 3/8" Drill pipe/drill stem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 99.2%
124   1   0
I'm wanting to use this to build a covered patio... so curious as well
Here is what I was told by someone that is doing the same thing I am doing which is using this pipe for carport/shop legs(mine may actually turn into a shop)
the legs will be in the ground so you want the thicker pipe so it doesn't rust through
i'm either gonna try to use thick(.220) walled 2 3/8" pipe or I may go to the 2 7/8" and see what wall thickness it has.(i think my truss legs will accomodate the larger pipe but I will need to measure.
OR, I may end up using the thinner walled structural 2 3/8"(3/16" wall) pipe

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 99.2%
124   1   0
A friend of mine is going to pick up some 2-3/8 and 2-7/8 from Wheeler tomorrow @mouthpiece I will let you know what the wall is. We are going to build him some fence and a two stall horse shed.
Yeah, I'd like to know both sized pipe wall measurements. Thanks

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
When looking for oilfield pipe, the largest majority you are going to find will be either 2 3/8” or 2 7/8” upset tubing. This is production tubing and is 4.7 ppf and 6.5 ppf respectively. Wall thickness is approx 3/16” for 2 3/8” Tbg and a little thicker (0.217”) for the 2 7/8” tbg. This is not exactly “thin wall” for most uses and is what is typically used for fences, cattle guards, corrals, etc.
Structural oilfield pipe is typically production tubing that failed a pressure test (thin spot that burst under hydro pressure) or failed a scan test (wall was thin in some area of the body of the tubing due to corrosion, erosion, etc). Still good pipe for welding, just will no longer be good to run in hole for a oil/gas well.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
All the 2 3/8" that I have bought was the sch 40 and I measured it with calipers and got .156" wall thickness so that .154" is probably spot on.
I have not seen and 1/4" wall stuff.
I have built many super strong things with the SCH 40 and rusting through in my lifetime I do not think so.
Unless you set it in mud.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
916 Penn ln Moore ok Google it and see the carport.
I built a carport and used the sch 40 for legs and it stood up to the tornado where many of the neighbors carports crumpled. This was comparing carports in the lower wind zone North of the house

A few houses down the road going south is where the strong winds hit.
sch 40 is still way stronger than what a carport kit will be made of.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
If you can’t find anything up to snuff I have some 6” new production that was (double) coated, but one of the coats wasn’t applied thick enough and it was rejected so it’s never been in the ground or had product through it. It’s .280 wall IIRC, heavy stuff around 50-60 lb/ft. Might be overkill for a carport

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Here is what I was told by someone that is doing the same thing I am doing which is using this pipe for carport/shop legs(mine may actually turn into a shop)
the legs will be in the ground so you want the thicker pipe so it doesn't rust through
i'm either gonna try to use thick(.220) walled 2 3/8" pipe or I may go to the 2 7/8" and see what wall thickness it has.(i think my truss legs will accomodate the larger pipe but I will need to measure.
OR, I may end up using the thinner walled structural 2 3/8"(3/16" wall) pipe
To get the thicker wall and for what you are going to do with it, I’d suggest going with 2 7/8” drill pipe. Of course I tend to over engineer everything. I do not like having to do things twice or fix things if it could be avoided.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
When I did these I picked up the pipe for $6-$8 for an approx. 8' piece. Going to try and finish the other side with the prices now at $18-$21 per 8' stick, FJB
Fence.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom