2010 Pro Am-What is the key to winning a pro-am type match?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That sounds like good stuff. What about when there are several target arrays at different distances. How do you decide which one to choose. Last year there was a stage with about 20 large poppers and they were the farthest away from the start position and there were small plates closer with walls in between every 3 or 4 targets. What do you do Then?:yikes2::cry11::cry11::wave:

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never shot the pro-am, so take this with a grain of salt. As a matter of fact don't even read it. There is no large or small. There is hard or harder. Dont' get over confident on a familiar type of target.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like good stuff. What about when there are several target arrays at different distances. How do you decide which one to choose. Last year there was a stage with about 20 large poppers and they were the farthest away from the start position and there were small plates closer with walls in between every 3 or 4 targets. What do you do Then?:yikes2::cry11::cry11::wave:

You break it down. How much time will it take you to engage each small target and move to each successive position, then add up the time. Compare it to how long it would take to sprint to the far array and shoot the larger targets (while winded) and get the hits. You may be better off taking a little of each. It's hard to bypass targets, but you need to assess whether the amount of hits you get in that array outweigh the extra time needed to get them, vs. the sprint time between positions.

This is why it's important to what your splits are at various distances, how long it takes you to run 5, 10, 15 & 20 yards, how much time it takes you to reload on the move, etc.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is show up at USSA on the 3rd Saturday of the month with $15 and 100 rounds of ammo and shoot a match. You don't have to be a great shooter or in great shape to enjoy a match, I am proof of that. Almost anyone at the match will be more than happy to help you out with equipment, opinions and advice.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
or you can show up ANY day and ask any of the staff to help you out......EVERY single person on staff looks forward to helping and, oh yeah, getting to pull the trigger also. If you ask for it ....they will oblige!!!!!

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
or you can show up ANY day and ask any of the staff to help you out......EVERY single person on staff looks forward to helping and, oh yeah, getting to pull the trigger also. If you ask for it ....they will oblige!!!!!

That will be nice! I can't wait to start shooting after I get through my orientation in the 5th!!

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

You break it down. How much time will it take you to engage each small target and move to each successive position, then add up the time. Compare it to how long it would take to sprint to the far array and shoot the larger targets (while winded) and get the hits. You may be better off taking a little of each. It's hard to bypass targets, but you need to assess whether the amount of hits you get in that array outweigh the extra time needed to get them, vs. the sprint time between positions.

This is why it's important to what your splits are at various distances, how long it takes you to run 5, 10, 15 & 20 yards, how much time it takes you to reload on the move, etc.

AND... Watch the poppers. They will set them where some fall forward and cover the ones behind it until they have fallen. I watch the guys before me and see how to "play" because I am still new to this. Watch out for the bridge.... It bit me once this year.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom