Surging home insurance costs could force families to leave these 10 states (OK is one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would I cite specific categories from the website if it wasn’t germane to my post??

Probably because is significantly more to post numbers that are relevant to most people? That CPI data is well known to be intellectually dishonest to tout as a true inflation indicator? That's why politicians use it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...2022-at-18-and-still-hovers-around-8-cc89ea6b

The CPI used to reflect borrowing costs

There is an interesting footnote to this discussion: The consumer price index up until 1983 included consumer borrowing costs. According to the researchers, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reflected these costs by “taking house prices, mortgage interest rates, property taxes and insurance, and maintenance costs as inputs.”

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beats me, I don’t know the govt methodology. I just clicked on “all items” and got the graph & posted it.
Regardless, these are the reported govt numbers that people go to for inflation rates. The historical numbers show Trump at 1.6% inflation in 2020 & under Biden, inflation jumped to 9.1%. These are the govt numbers that are reported & they are damning for Biden. So, I’m glad about that.

Again, if anyone has inflation rates for all categories that show higher %’s, that would be great.

Interesting stuff.
Insurance has 0 do do with the government lol.
Spoken like a real financial guru...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't matter when they drop it. If it's required by the banks, they shouldn't be able to do it.

It absolutely matters when they drop it. Insurance policies for property are typically written as a year long contract, they assess their risk and offer a renewal accordingly.

OR......

So the government should force insurance companies to cover homes because banks require it? That doesn't sound familiar to you at all? I mean because I can sit here and tell you all about the disaster the affordable health care act/obamacare is.

Last edited:

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Insurance has 0 do do with the government lol.
Spoken like a real financial guru...
Insurance?? I was talking about inflation under Biden & trump, & was referring to the govt cpi/inflation report on the economy. I wasn’t referring to insurance in any way. What the heck are you talking about??🤦‍♂️ I was talking to another member about inflation & Your unsolicited comment has nothing to do with our topic.
Guru, lol what a dufus. I know reading comprehension isn’t your strong point, but try to keep up. Good grief

Last edited:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planned for wealth, and I hit the target so this increase and your troubles with it are strictly on you.
Sorry about your failures in planning, it been happening every year of your life.
Ok, I'll play. Miss the entire point much?

So that I understand, you are so rich that inflation and Bidenomics don't affect you? Yeah, that must be nice. That checks out with almost every truly wealthy person I've known. Almost none of them care what something costs as long as they have cash to cover it. Uh huh.

Completely separate question for no particular reason, do you feel that shoving large quantities of edibles down a person's throat could impact their reading comprehension negatively? Just curious.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the end of the day what is going on is more wealth distribution. If you have any wealth, they want it. They will tax you for it or they will devalue the currency so what you have is worth less and take more that way. It is a grift for power and control.

prh79

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a strong suspicion that powerful investment groups are influencing insurance companies, possibly through underwriters, to push insurance rates high enough to force people out of their homes so they can purchase them for rental properties. Real property always increases in value and it is far more stable for investment than stock or money markets…..
I suppose anything is possible. Personally I believe it’s more about laziness and recent trends towards off loading rate setting. Actuaries set rates, underwriters don’t. Underwriting is a dying job anyway… they’re being replaced by software. Most companies offload their rate setting to algorithms anymore. They all probably buy similar software packages from a select few companies. (Cambridge Mobile Telematics does pretty much all the software for insurance companies drive tracking, most insurance companies use the same satellite imagery company to do “surveys” of homes…) as large as the top insurance carriers are what would their benefit be in easing rates just so an investment company could buy homes? The payouts would be in the billions. Most of the top carriers are public ally traded and they all came out and stated they didn’t anticipate the pace of inflation and the number of claims going up as well. Nobody supposedly saw it coming when “regular” people saw it everyday. What’s much more likely is they all use similar actuarial software and didn’t want to take the risk of going against the tide. If they all miss then they all raise rates at the same time and don’t bleed market share.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That doesn't really make much sense. Do you think "powerful investment" groups pay cheap rates in places like Oklahoma for property? They don't.
No but they can afford to buy up property when homeowners and investors can no longer afford the insurance. I've read a large percentage of residential homes purchased recently have been by large investment groups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom