2016 OK Fish/Game Bills Proposed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Quite a few things in the works, make phone calls if it moves you to. SB1142 can fail as far as I'm concerned.

Senate
Senate Bill 1142 by Sen. Dahm and Rep. Sean Roberts. Prohibits game wardens from entering private lands based solely on the sound of a gun shot. Title struck and passed from the Tourism and Wildlife Committee. Bill now goes to the full Senate.

House
House Bill 1068 by Rep. Cleveland and Sen. Shortey. Creating an online system for night hunting feral hogs and requiring permit fee. Passed by the House Wildlife Committee. Now awaits action by the full House.
House Bill 1645 by Rep. Wallace and Sen. Sharp. HB 1654 prohibits the waste of edible game, unless it is not fit for human consumption due to disease, injury, gunshot, or is being prepared for taxidermy. Passed by the House. Bill now goes to the Senate.
House Bill 2637 by Rep. Wallace. Allowing suppressors on public lands for hunting and shooting. Passed by the House. Bill now goes to the Senate.
House Bill 2641 by Rep. Wallace. Authorizes Attorney General to assist in the collection of the debt and penalties as they relate to hunting and fishing license dealers. Passed by the House. Bill now gpes to the Senate.
House Bill 2642 by Rep. Vaughan and Sen. Fields. Deletes land size restriction for special use permits on public lands. Passed by the House. Bill now goes to the Senate.
House Bill 2643 by Rep. Wallace. Authorizing the Director of the Wildlife Department to initiate and conduct an administrative proceeding against any person for violation of any laws related to wildlife. Passed by the House Wildlife Committee. Bill now goes to the full House.
House Bill 2714 by Rep. Ortega and Sen. Schulz. Eliminates feral swine night hunting permit. Authorizes night hunting for feral swine on private lands and allows for lights (designed to be carried on ones person) to be used except during any open deer season. Passed by the House Rules Committee. Bill now goes to the full House.
House Bill 2743 by Rep. Condit and Sen. Boggs. Allows for powered parachutes to be used to hunt depredating animals. Passed by the House Wildlife Committee. Bill now awaits action by the full House.
House Bill 2777 by Rep. McCall and Sen. Brecheen. Reauthorizes the income tax check off as it relates to the Wildlife Diversity Fund. Passed by the House. Bill now goes to the Senate.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SB1142 can fail as far as I'm concerned.

You want this to fail?? So you want wardens to be able to enter private property based solely on the sound of a gun shot? Or am I reading it wrong? I am most definitely against that. I don't feel that the sound of a gunshot is gives LEO justification to enter private property. That leaves too much room for abuse by an overzealous warden. It is not possible to know exactly where a shot came from. I don't want someone tromping under my stand just because they "thought they heard a shot from this direction and wanted to check and see if I am legal."

I assumed wardens could already enter private property. I was dove hunting a place the warden was staked out on out in the middle of nowhere. He walked in, checked my license and birds and talked for a second. At the time I was annoyed he did that, I was having a great hunt. He kept talking, so I just picked up my gun and started shooting at birds and working dog. He got the hint and left. What are their limits on when they can enter private property?

How does HB 1645/1654 differ from the current wanton waste regs?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are their limits on when they can enter private property?

I'd like to know this as well. Two years ago, I was putting orange vest on at my truck, behind locked gate, and warden pulled up to gate, climbed over, and asked for my license. I showed it to him and finished getting ready to go to my stand. (hadn't even gotten rifle out yet) I'd have rather enjoyed telling him to go elsewhere but I was wanting to get going, not challenge the State.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You want this to fail?? So you want wardens to be able to enter private property based solely on the sound of a gun shot? Or am I reading it wrong? I am most definitely against that. I don't feel that the sound of a gunshot is gives LEO justification to enter private property. That leaves too much room for abuse by an overzealous warden. It is not possible to know exactly where a shot came from. I don't want someone tromping under my stand just because they "thought they heard a shot from this direction and wanted to check and see if I am legal."

I assumed wardens could already enter private property. I was dove hunting a place the warden was staked out on out in the middle of nowhere. He walked in, checked my license and birds and talked for a second. At the time I was annoyed he did that, I was having a great hunt. He kept talking, so I just picked up my gun and started shooting at birds and working dog. He got the hint and left. What are their limits on when they can enter private property?

How does HB 1645/1654 differ from the current wanton waste regs?

My take is that a GW entering a property hasn't been an issue, so why change it? I know lot's of property around with out of state owners, it won't take the rule breakers long to figure that deal out. Somebody important must have got busted last year and now they want a change lol :)

As far the wanton waste regs, I'm thinking that this was brought about by the waterfowl guys who like to hunt ducks and geese but don't eat them. Fed regs say you just have to make an attempt at retrieval, each man keep his limit separate and says nothing about eating them. People are probably getting tired of seeing piles of untouched waterfowl on every dead end road.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bad part of forcing any edible game to be used is the wild hogs. They are a nuisance and while some are edible some will have meat that is will be foul tasting due to age or being a boar. If something like that passes it will require the hogs to be consumed if at all possible as well which is opposite what it is now, shoot it and leave it if you don't want it since it is a nuisance anyway. I agree that animals that are edible should be used or given to someone who will use them but some exceptions need to be added if they haven't been already.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But if they do not put specific exclusions a coyote or anything else that is shot for hunting could be considered game and you would then be breaking the law with the coyote as well as the skunk or who knows what else.

When too many things are left up to the mind of a person and the game warden wants to be an ass you could be having skunk for dinner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom