22-250 pet loads for 55 gr?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Turk Mauser converted to 22-250. Bought it used, and it had lots of problems, all of which are now sorted out. I think the barrel is new, since it had to be re-reamed before it would chamber a round.

Have been experimenting with 55 grain loads powered by H-380, so far best results are with 37.4 grains of powder lit by WLR primers. Best group on a windy day at 100 yards was 1.5 inches, but I suspect it can do lots better.

Any recommendations form you 22-250 shooters? Thanks

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats the whole problem with asking what is a best load on an internet forum.
Barrels are like people, they are not the same.
1 1/2" at 200 is better than 99% of barrels. I wouldn't change anything.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the whole problem with asking what is a best load on an internet forum.
Barrels are like people, they are not the same.
1 1/2" at 200 is better than 99% of barrels. I wouldn't change anything.

Dennis, I agree with your assessment of the answers you are likely to get on the internet. But, the range was only 100 yards, and I think it can do better. I want minute of coyote at 300, and I don't think it'll quite do that yet.

It is a nice looking, heavy old gun, and I hope it can live up to its promise.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
H380 was always an accurate powder for me in my 250's. The problem with it was that it was rather temp sensitive, and was 'dirty'. 4064 and varget also produced accurate loads for me. Like you, I would not be satisfied untill I was shooting below 1" . Something that you may want to keep in mind is that your particular rifle may not shoot the 55g bullets well. If you have a 1-14 twist barrel, this is a definate possibility. I had problems with a 250 once that resembled yours, I switched to 53g sierra hp and was quickly shooting sub moa. Just a thought, good luck.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB, I load the same load using H-380, but find that I get much better results with magnum primers. I am also using my home made 223 bullets set at 57.5 grains.
I had some slow ignition with the WLR primers and went to the magnum to correct that issue. Lots of the ball powders require a hotter primer for proper ignition.
That load in my Encore can make ragged holes on a calm day. Blitzfike

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second CrossJ on the lighter bullets. I've got a 1:14 twist and get good results (0.5 moa avg.) with 50 gr. V-Max and around 33 gr. of TAC. 52 gr. A-Max is a good one for me too.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know where to pick up reasonably priced bulk or boxes of 22-250?

Before I started loading my own, I used a 45 gr. jhp load from Winchester. They come in a 40 round white box value pack and are loaded to 4000 fps. Pretty accurate for the money. I used to get them at Walmart I believe, but they are more expensive than they used to be. I've gotten them from Cabelas too.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I agree with your assessment of the answers you are likely to get on the internet. But, the range was only 100 yards, and I think it can do better. I want minute of coyote at 300, and I don't think it'll quite do that yet.

It is a nice looking, heavy old gun, and I hope it can live up to its promise.

Crap! typing on my phone gets me in trouble sometimes. Lol.

I'm not a paper puncher as far as tight groups, so i'm still ok at 100 yds in my situation. I don't shoot from rests, other than a general support on the forearm that I would use in a tree stand or blind, so I get a little "wiggle" in my sighting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom