The Barn Find 1955 Bel Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chance S

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 56 I brought to life. Many Many extras and mods.. you get what you put into it. A resto-mod is your best option. 20k in and it would likely sell 60k. all kinda depends..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun to try and get the old engine running and see if that old transmission will work most likely it will.

My all original 70,000 mile 283 and glide in the 57 ran and drove but leaked and ticked.
Not something I would drive more than a mile away from home.

I had to update it with 350" and TH350 and then the old rearend broke some spider gears after a few months of my lead foot.
Have a 9" Ford in it now.

If you plan on driving any distance I say plan now on some kind of swap.

I am not into the injection stuff.
Love my carburetors and simple distributors and NON computer controlled transmissions.

We all like what we like though.

57 chevy 4 door carbs and single point distributor more than 250 HP LESS than this computerized 2015 supercharged Mustang. Old school for the win.

Got him 3 lengths on the hole shot. Hard to make that up.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 56 I brought to life. Many Many extras and mods.. you get what you put into it. A resto-mod is your best option. 20k in and it would likely sell 60k. all kinda depends..

I don’t think that this may be the case here with the ‘55. The ‘55 model year doesn’t seem to have the following or command a higher price like the ‘57 or even the ‘56.
While the op has a really cool barn find car, I don’t know that he would get a premium on it, were he to sell it.
I could be wrong. Been wrong before and will be wrong again.
But good on you op for rescuing that 4 wheeler.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is pretty much the same condition as the 1958 Impala I have in the family shop/barn. All ive done is put the same skates under it and shove it out of the way for now. Mine was last inspected in the early 70's with 60k miles at the moment. thats a nice find!
I hope you have taken steps for long term storage.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fun to try and get the old engine running and see if that old transmission will work most likely it will.

My all original 70,000 mile 283 and glide in the 57 ran and drove but leaked and ticked.

I had to update it with 350" and TH350 and then the old rearend broke some spider gears after a few months of my lead foot.

Love my carburetors and simple distributors and NON computer controlled transmissions.

57 chevy 4 door carbs and single point distributor more than 250 HP LESS than this computerized 2015 supercharged Mustang. Old school for the win.

Ya caught him makin a sammich at the light. He was sure coming on fast though. Another 50 feet and he might have had ya.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

@swampratt old beater snapped my neck backwards hard! It can leave the line hard and haul a big ass load of metal welding pile and such! LOL!

That trunk is so big, no telling how many deer he can stack in it! Or people if need be! Haaaa!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No reason someone should have much money in this 55.
Unless you just like to spend money and let other people do everything for you.

I have built many junked out cars by myself and never started with anything as nice as this 55.

I have never had more than $4,700 tied up in the entire car including purchase price.
You just have to be smart and do things yourself.

My 1956 4 door was really straight I stuck a 200" Ford straight 6 and C4 in it and got 21 MPG with the 3.55 gears.
I had 2,500 in it and paid 900 for it.
Great driver and way more pep than the old 283 and glide.
Of course the weight reduction and the lower gear in the 3 speed trans vs the glide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom