22 ammo suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootsbaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a walther p22 that I do enjoy practicing with since its cheap to shoot. However I am getting an amazing education in clearing misfeeds, failure to eject, failure to feeds etc and I'm sure it's because I'm using cheap ammo in it. I think it just doesn't have enough powder to feed correctly. So what are your suggestions for a good high quality 22 ammo?
Thanks in advance :-)

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one for a while a couple years ago. The only ammo that I tried that was close to 100% reliable was CCI (Mini-mag or Stingers). Now days, those two types of ammo are not cheap.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have never shot a p22, but I have a Ruger MKIII Target. The Federal bulk packs run great through it, almost as good as CCI and considering the price difference they run GREAT!!!

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a walther p22 that I do enjoy practicing with since its cheap to shoot. However I am getting an amazing education in clearing misfeeds, failure to eject, failure to feeds etc and I'm sure it's because I'm using cheap ammo in it. I think it just doesn't have enough powder to feed correctly. So what are your suggestions for a good high quality 22 ammo?
Thanks in advance :-)

You will have to try different brands to find the one that works best, something like Winchester Super X, CCi Minnie mags or something simular.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Federal 550 round HP bulk packs run a lot better than the Winchester HP bulk pack rounds. Both brands rounds have the same FPS... around 1,260 FPS. About the ame velocity as the CCI mini-mags @ 1,320-ish. The issue is the HP. The Winchester rounds have a nice deep distinct HP.. and when they hit the feed ramp during cycling... the lead on the tip is so thin that it flattens out against the ramp... causing mis-feeds & jams. The Federal rounds on the other hand only have a small dimple for a HP... so they don't deform nearly as much when impacting the feed ramp. Just make sure that the .22's your using are copper plated with solid or dimpled tips... not just plain lead or having deep HP tips.

This was real noticable in my M&P 15-22. The Winchesters were nothing but trouble. But I've put 1,000's of the Federals through it without any issues. The good ammo is the CCI Stingers @ 1,640 FPS.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two p22's the target and the standard. They both love the federal champion high velocity 40 grain solid. It comes in 50 round boxes and 10 boxes to a case for 19.99 at atwoods. It is about the only place I can find it anymore. Every atwoods that I have. Een to has them. In my experience the loose bulk packs bang the tips around and loosen them up and they don't feed right. Even my marlin 60 doesn't like the loose packed stuff. YMMV

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a walther p22. I bought it new, the first 600 rounds i ran through it were cci mini mags. After that i have ran nothing but federal bulk, and remington bulk, they both work. I prefer the federal over the remington. I did notice that once i get to a 250 round count my ftf fte increases greatly. I give it a good cleaning, and it works for another 250 to 300 rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom