Is Another Ammo Shortage Coming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I do not think ammo companies are trying to rip people off. I do think Inflation is out there, combined with shortages due to production shifts and increased demand. Things that have effected ammo prices:

1) Shift to 6.8 SPC production,
2) Increased demand due to ukraine, now israel, \
3) No production or mining of lead since the obummer years
4) Brass and powders not only need metallic ores and other minerals, heat is needed, and you all know that NG and Oil and Electricity has gone up
5) Taxes and compliance
6) Reliance on gov't for primer production
7) Inflation on the cost of the metals themselves in raw form and final product.

The writing is on the wall, ammo is going up and will become more scarce, especially in non military calibers, 30/30, 30 0-6, 270 Win, 22. LR and 22.WM... If 6.8 SPC becomes the new military rifle caliber, eventually 5.56 will be like 30 0-6 or 30/30 (decades out?) Could happen to .308 as well.
Costs have increased for sure. Used to get a 50 round box of aluminum cased CCI 9mm at Academy for $4.86. Bought a case one time and they tried to charge me that for 20 box case. I couldn't do it and told the girl she rang it up wrong. Now that would have been a deal! I'm talking about the sellers who gouge others including some ammo sellers online.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Costs have increased for sure. Used to get a 50 round box of aluminum cased CCI 9mm at Academy for $4.86. Bought a case one time and they tried to charge me that for 20 box case. I couldn't do it and told the girl she rang it up wrong. Now that would have been a deal! I'm talking about the sellers who gouge others including some ammo sellers online.

That will happen too. Good example, 2008. Everyone wanted ammo, only place that had .380 was GunWorld. 50 rds .380 for the price of $38 for cheap ball ammo. It was available, only there, price preserved inventory, and if you really needed it, you could get it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That will happen too. Good example, 2008. Everyone wanted ammo, only place that had .380 was GunWorld. 50 rds .380 for the price of $38 for cheap ball ammo. It was available, only there, price preserved inventory, and if you really needed it, you could get it.
The neck beards will be waiting at WMart and Academy’s door soon if they’re not already.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hardly buy ammo anymore unless a great deal. I have amassed a good inventory of loading supplies to cover most of my needs back when things were cheaper. Was at Atwoods today looking at ammo prices :ooh2:Oh my God, cheapest pushing a buck a round, some $3 bucks per. Did find some 22WMR, 20 gauge slugs and 12 gauge 8 shot within reason so loaded up on those. I guess the cheaper stuff had already been cleaned out.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The materials cost going up does add up occasionally, but it is trivial in comparison to the price of labor.

Since ammunition materials are commodities, the material price are not in a steady rise all the time.

The real costs of ammunition price increases is markup after it leave the factory. Distributer and dealers is where it gets jacked around.

I doubt any of the big manufactures fluctuate their pricing during the year.

The best thing one can do when the price skyrockets is find something else besides shooting!

Leave it sit on the dealers shelves!!!

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not think ammo companies are trying to rip people off. I do think Inflation is out there, combined with shortages due to production shifts and increased demand. Things that have effected ammo prices:

1) Shift to 6.8 SPC production,
2) Increased demand due to ukraine, now israel, \
3) No production or mining of lead since the obummer years
4) Brass and powders not only need metallic ores and other minerals, heat is needed, and you all know that NG and Oil and Electricity has gone up
5) Taxes and compliance
6) Reliance on gov't for primer production
7) Inflation on the cost of the metals themselves in raw form and final product.

The writing is on the wall, ammo is going up and will become more scarce, especially in non military calibers, 30/30, 30 0-6, 270 Win, 22. LR and 22.WM... If 6.8 SPC becomes the new military rifle caliber, eventually 5.56 will be like 30 0-6 or 30/30 (decades out?) Could happen to .308 as well.

Not sure about the death of 223/5.56 anytime soon. Not only does the military probably have millions/billions or rounds; the US police and government agencies use it and don't have nearly the $$$ the military has to change.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mantra to the gun folks for years is that when prices are down, buy it cheap and stack it deep to avoid these cycles when you have to buy from the neckbeards.
Then there is no reason for this panic buying. I'm extremely comfortable with the stash and the amount of reloading supplies to replace them.
Continue shooting as normal.....

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_2039.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom