22 Hornet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a 22 Hornet rifle. I have it narrowed down between the Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter and the Ruger 77/22. Any info and opinions on this caliber and gun selection would be nice.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with either gun. If you buy a 22 hornet and you are not a reloader or don't plan on becoming one, you will go broke feeding it. Mild recoil, uses very little powder, good for varmints for 200 yards or so

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now the problem that I have is while looking for Hornets, I ran accross the ruger m77 hawkeye compact in 223. That would be a neat little gun, with and over all length of 35 1/2''. Now, how do I decided which one?!:doh:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a 22 Hornet rifle. I have it narrowed down between the Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter and the Ruger 77/22. Any info and opinions on this caliber and gun selection would be nice.

I have a micro-hunter in 7mm/08 with which I'm very dissatisfied (there's a thread around here some place).
Have an A-Bolt composite stalker that's the best rifle I own. Don't know what to advise. My experience is mixed. My folks gave me my first Browning nearly forty years ago and I still have a soft spot for them.
In my own limited experience, the Ruger tends to be heavy triggered.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its more funds, but you might want to look into the Browning/Winchester low/high wall singleshots in .22 Hornet. All I've ever heard was good about them, as to accuracy, weight, and overall looks.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too am interested in the 22 Hornet and I'm not sure why. I'm not a hunter and that sure would be an expensive tin can killer. If I ever found a smokin' deal on one I wouldn't be able to resist.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was fascinated by .22 hornet for a while, then realized if I get a .223 bolt action, there are loads using Blue Dot and 800x to make low power loads. Then I can use cheap .223 brass, which I already have since I have the AR. Or, I could load it heavy for the kicks of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom