22 Mystery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need some important input from the 22 Guru's. I just got a High Standard Sentinel, it looks just like a Colt Cobra snub nose. On the barrel it says Sentinel Caliber 22. The problem is when I load a 22lr, the round is about an 1/8th of an inch short from the end of the cylinder. now when I load a 22 mag, it fits like I think it should. The only marking on the cylinder that I can find is on the face is a "L". Nowhere on the weapon does it say Long, LR, Short, WMR, or Magnum. Any input would be very helpful on what round this shoots. I will post pictures later tonight, Thanks.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it hold 6 or 9?

From what I am reading, the 9 shots were all S,L, LR and the 6 shots were magnum.

It looks like maybe if it doesn't have any markings other than "Sentinal" with no other series number, it might be a larger framed version that was offered as a combination with both cylinders.

That's about all I can find in my library.

Last edited:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes me think it's a mag is, I have never known a 22 mag shell fitting into a 22lr cylinder and this one fits.

Ya I agree.

Maybe try asking some of the H&R gurus over on Greybeard's forum to be sure... there are probably some of them that are into High Standards as well or have run across this model since it's similar in function and form to the little H&R revolvers.

From what I see in the Numrich catalog, there were two different size frames for the .22s and the ones that were convertible or for magnum use were slightly larger. It's just odd to me that the cylinder isn't marked but I'm no expert.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the model you are describing only came in magnum. the lr models looked different. I had one of those 35 years ago and it is one of those guns you kick yourself for ever selling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom