Revolver Round Up Ammo Gel Tests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The hornady ftx critical defense 110 gr is one of the few that seem to open in all the tests, in a snubby. Luckygunner.com as well as lots of other places, has gel test results.. this load only expands to .48” or so, and penetrates enough, but this beats wadcutter performance, if you can find a box or two of it..
But how is the recoil? That's the saving grace with full wadcutters. The cut cleanly, don't deflect much and most importantly they are much easier to shoot accurately out of airweight snubbies. Shot placement is what counts. If you have to shoot through barriers you need to reevaluate your tactics because you brought the wrong gun and should probably be getting to somewhere else. They are strictly a "get off me" gun.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not in this test it didn’t. Penetrated just over 14 inches with 0 expansion from a 2 inch Ruger LCR. Also yawed at 8 inches.
Postmstr- not sure which test you mean, the luckygunner tests, or anyone else’s are not definitive, and arent all the same, gel temps vary, lots of ammo vary.. but if you can find the critical defense, of golden saber, or hst- or any other load that expands MOST of the time in gel tests, and gets enough penetration- then you are probably better off than using plain lead wadcutters. The snubby aint great for power or capacity, but beats the hell out of the bigger gun you left in the truck ( or cant get to under your winter coat)

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m referring to the results of the tests in the article link I posted. I realize test conditions vary. The rounds in this test were all fired from the same revolver at the same place, time, etc. I’ve also looked at some of Lucky Gunners tests. Some say all gel tests mean nothing. I’ve also fired rounds of various types at water filled jugs which really mean nothing except which round is most effective against water filled jugs. Kind of fun to see the results though. I think most agree that expecting any round to expand reliably when fired from a handgun to is a crap shoot at best. In the test I posted the 110 Gr Hornady CD round fares no better than others and worse than some. Penetration depth and low recoil seem to be the best indicators for choosing a snub round.

Attachments

• PRMRRU-2021Ballistic-test3.pdf
    245 KB · Views: 0

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What, no .327 Federal Magnum tested?
Not this time I guess. I don’t know a snub chambered for .327 except the Ruger SP 101 and I consider it to be pretty hefty for a short barreled revolver. I think finding ammo in that caliber isn’t easy either. I’ve seen other tests where it performs very well.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not this time I guess. I don’t know a snub chambered for .327 except the Ruger SP 101 and I consider it to be pretty hefty for a short barreled revolver. I think finding ammo in that caliber isn’t easy either. I’ve seen other tests where it performs very well.
There's also the Ruger LCR snub, but yes, the ammo is hard to find right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom