222 vs 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this caliber? What’s it good for, Distance and accuracy Compared to a 223…
I’ve been reading on it thinking about building a custom remy 700, not sure if I want it in 222 or 223. I wonder how it would handle a 5r barrel? All wisdom will be appreciated!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So you do like them? Looking for more info from preferably experience. What you like don’t like all that good jazz.
Yeah I like them enough that I don't own a .223 currently :) There are still folks that will go to the grave claiming that the .222 will always be capable of greater accuracy than a .223. Of course there's a zillion factors there, but overall that's been my findings as well.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I like them enough that I don't own a .223 currently :) There are still folks that will go to the grave claiming that the .222 will always be capable of greater accuracy than a .223. Of course there's a zillion factors there, but overall that's been my findings as well.
What kind of accuracy do you have? Factor, reloads or hand load?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.222 is an old benchrest caliber. Superbly accurate. Same brass as .223, slightly shorter. A tad less velocity. Normally, 55 gr and LIGHTER bullets. Mid-range varmit cartridge.

Lack of commercial loadings, same components as .223.

Does nothing .223 can't equal or better.

Awesome cartridge, IF YOU WANT ONE.
.223 is more practical

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My research is the .222 was here before the .223 and the .223 was built to function in an AR platform better.
.222 Magnum is a bit faster but in my mind not worth the hassle as the .223 is ridiculous accurate and cases are easy to find and in my testing with my pencil barrel savage axis rifles that .223 remington is accurate like no other.
Only gun i have that has shot under 1" at 300 yards.

I could imagine with a quality heavy custom barrel and the twist matched to the bullet you intend to use you could really get some accuracy from a rifle not only in .223 but any caliber really.

Would I custom build one?
No but only because the rifles i have are very accurate for putting food on the table for me.
I have often thought of a custom barrel but in reality I will probably never go down that road.

Same reason I have not got any after market heads for my V8 engines.
I can tweak the factory ones and beat many with aftermarket heads.
Until I get beat up on all the time with my tweaked junk I will continue to run tweaked junk.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.222 is an old benchrest caliber. Superbly accurate. Same brass as .223, slightly shorter. A tad less velocity. Normally, 55 gr and LIGHTER bullets. Mid-range varmit cartridge.

Lack of commercial loadings, same components as .223.

Does nothing .223 can't equal or better.

Awesome cartridge, IF YOU WANT ONE.
.223 is more practical
This is pretty much what i have been reading. How does the accuracy compare to a 223? Same,better or worse?

Latest posts

Top Bottom