.223 savage Axis accuracy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone is thinking of getting one of these Bolt guns in .223 I would not hesitate to pick up one of these inexpensive rifles.

Here is a target I shot at 100 yards this chilly morning.
Tasco 3-9 scope.
Varget powder ..far left is 24.5gr ..then middle is 25.0gr and right target is 25.5gr of varget , all with 60gr v max bullet.
LC-13 cases.
That 25.5gr also worked well in federal cases at 200 yards..Under 3/4".

I am really liking this little gun.
View attachment 52572

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks!
You know what though My 30-30 that my dad gave me on his death bed would shoot .75" at 100 yards with store ammo in the 1980's
It was made in 1974.
I have heard of the 1 in 1000 barrels that shoot really well..Wonder if this one is something like.

I wish someone here would chime in who has one and post some target pics etc.

I did read promising reviews on them on the academy web sight

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll chime in, I've got one in 223 and it is my goto gun, I use 55 grain v-maxes with 25.4 grains of Varget behind them. It will shoot sub-moa all day. The best I ever did with it was me and a buddy were out shooting golf balls at 100 to 150 yards, he found a golf tee and bet me lunch I couldn't hit it at a 100 yards. First shot I shot the golf tee on the left side and it bent over to the right. Not saying the gun or me did it, it was one of those shots. I have several of Axis in different calibers and all of them shoot great and are a great gun for the price. Another buddy of mine wanted a 308 so he got a Axis with the scope that came on it. He never shot a rifle with a scope before, we made up some handloads and he maybe has shot it 60 times, the last time we were out he had a 3 shot group in a 1 inch bullseye, he was proud of himself. I've got some nicer savage and other rifles in 223, but the Axis is the one I have the most confidence in

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tossed stones at the .223 round for years like some probably did to the .308 when it replaced the 30-06.
Ford, Chevy etc.
I like it now.
Good story hotrod13 ..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy has one in 223 i think it is,,but all the ammo he had was privi and other cheap crap stuff.
Groups were baseball sized.. But not a real test for accuracy when you get the crappy ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom