.22LR pistol for plinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite .22 is my Ruger Single Six, maybe because it was my first handgun. All my kids have grown up shooting it as well as their friends and other family. Great gun to learn to shoot with.

Sig Mosquito is a good training gun too for teaching how the autos work. I like it because it has a safety and a decocking lever. Just lets you show new shooters features they may find on other guns. Mine will stove pipe from time to time, but I just tell everyone that it is another great training tool when that happens, tap - rack, fire.

The best part of the .22's --- the cost of ammo!

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot what feels the best. For me it's the Ruger MII. I'm getting ready to top mine with a Tactical Solutions Pac-lite so I can run my ACC can on it.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a S&W 22a-1, I've read that some have had issues and others that have shot multi-thousands of rounds without any problems. some like them and some don't, pretty much the same as every other pistol I've read about.
I took mine out last sunday and put over 500 rnds through it with no problems, the bullets went where I told them to, I like the look and feel of it and for a two hundered dollar gun with a lifetime warranty, I don't have to worry about beating it up. I figure I'll send it in every couple of years for a free overhaul. " I think she's a keeper "

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a S&W 22a-1, I've read that some have had issues and others that have shot multi-thousands of rounds without any problems. some like them and some don't, pretty much the same as every other pistol I've read about.
I took mine out last sunday and put over 500 rnds through it with no problems, the bullets went where I told them to, I like the look and feel of it and for a two hundered dollar gun with a lifetime warranty, I don't have to worry about beating it up. I figure I'll send it in every couple of years for a free overhaul. " I think she's a keeper "

I've got a 22a and it shoots good.
My only problem was the sites.
Like looking at the side of a 2 x 4.
I put a scope on it and it shoot really tite patterns.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 22a and it shoots good.
My only problem was the sites.
Like looking at the side of a 2 x 4.
I put a scope on it and it shoot really tite patterns.

this,the back of the thing is uuugglyy. i got a neos and it functions just as well. not that the smith didn't shoot well,just could'nt get over the sight.. just a ?, does anyone know why the sight is like it is? i mean BIG and ugly.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the Sig and maybe I got a bad one. I could not keep it from jamming. I like the browning and what I shoot most now is my Walther P22. It will drive nails. The only time it has ever gave me a problem was when I tried to shoot some old cheap brick ammo that I had in the closet for about 15 years. I just shoot cci now. If you are not stuck on a semi auto, I have a S&W model 63 that I have had for about 15 years and it is a blast to shoot. My kids like to shoot it more the the autos. If you are looking at long guns, I think it is hard to beat a 10-22. I do think the old ones are better then the new ones. Good luck.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a SIG Mosquito that is a lot of fun to shoot. Seemed to have taken a lot of shooting to break it in though...over a thousand rounds but now it is reliable with everything, including the bulk-box stuff.

If I could only keep one .22 though it would be my Single-Six...probably the most fun gun I own.

+1000 me too

Latest posts

Top Bottom